Author Topic: Other: Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, ...  (Read 18326 times)

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
Other: Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, ...
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »
General Rules

Post a reply here with your favorite Horror, Mystery, Supernatural or just plain unclassifiable anime titles along with a short description (and pictures :D). Remember to read the Guidelines and tips before continuing.

Thread rules

This is the Other section: Horrific, spooky and/or mysterious shows belong here as well as those that just don't fit in any other thread.

Anime titles

Anime titles in other threads
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:42:47 am by Hanover Fist »
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.
Owner & Project leader for NFP Encodings & ForPitch.
Making lolis cry since 2011

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
Re: Other (Supernatural & etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »
Perfect Blue

Horror, Psychological
MAL - Download

Kirigoe Mima decides to leave her pop-idol group CHAM! and become an actress. This displeases her fans (and stalkers). As she gets deeper into her new career it gets harder and harder to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

This is the first film Satoshi Kon directed. All of his works have elements that hover between fantasy and reality. Aside from Akira a few years before, this was one of the first anime I ever watched as an adult and began a nearly decade-long love for anime that has persisted to this day.

This film has often been compared to Hitchcock and if you want something to creep you the frack out, this will do quite well.  ;D

Pictures

(click to show/hide)

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:07:10 pm »
Millennium Actress

Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance
MAL - Download

A Japanese film studio commissions a filmmaker to make a documentary to celebrate their 70th anniversary. Tachibana Genya travels to a remote lodge where the idol of his youth - the reclusive Fujiwara Chiyoko lives. She was the studio's leading lady from the '30s to the '60s. As she reminisces about her past Tachibana and his cameraman find themselves drawn in - literally - to her memories.

This next film Satoshi Kon directed had a much happier mood compared to Perfect Blue, but still retained his trademark of blurring the line between fantasy and reality. I like it because you can never really be sure what is going on: Are we inside one of her films she is reminiscing about? Then why are the Tachibana and the cameraman there? I also liked it because it showed Kon had a much wider range.

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:27:10 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:44:46 pm »
Tokyo Godfathers

Other, Drama, Comedy
MAL - Download

It's Christmas Eve and three homeless acquaintances - a runaway girl, a transvestite and an alcoholic - find an abandoned baby in the trash. They follow the clues in a bag nearby to try and discover the parents. Through a bizarre string of coincidences they also encounter threads of their own lives they had thought left behind. *

This is another film where I bought the DVD because Satoshi Kon had directed it. I had seen it as a fansub previously and loved it. In this one, reality is much stronger, but it's the coincidences that make you go "WTF?!" An excellent, strange and touching story.

*(paraphrased from MAL)

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:28:33 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
Re: Other (Supernatural, Horror & etc.)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
Paranoia Agent

Other, Mystery, Drama, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Psychological, Thriller
MAL - Torrents: 720p, XviD

Tsukiko Sagi is a character designer who had one huge success with a pink dog creation named Maromi. She is now under enormous pressure to think up another hot seller. One night, Sagi is attacked by a boy on roller blades wielding a baseball bat. Police initially suspect her story until the attacks continue upon other stressed people. The culprit is dubbed "Shounen Bat" in the media frenzy and the investigation continues with mystifying results.

Continuing my Satoshi Kon marathon, we come to a series, rather than a movie. Here, we are exposed to a much larger and cumulative dose of the strange, building up as the show progresses. In characteristic Kon style, the dividing line between reality and fantasy shifts and cracks with disastrous but spellbinding results.

Pictures
Thanks to arewar for the screencaps!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:31:28 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:49 pm »
Paprika

Other, Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Psychological, Thriller
MAL - Download

A research organization is developing a form of psychotherapy through one's dreams. The film opens with an unsanctioned dream therapist named Paprika. We learn she is an avatar of Chiba Atsuko, one of the researchers on the project. Prototypes of the device are stolen. Researchers from the facility along with a policeman (who is a patient of Paprika's) follow a reality-twisting trail. They must catch up with the thieves before their project (and their minds) are destroyed.

I like this film because it gives a strong science fictional base to Kon's reality twists. Also his directing is at the peak of his abilities, combined with beautiful (if mind-warping) visuals.

Sadly, with Paprika we are near - if not at - the end of Satoshi Kon's career. After his death, production at Madhouse has continued on his last film - The Dreaming Machine. However news has the film currently stalled for financial reasons. :(

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:32:54 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »
Monster

Mystery, Horror, Drama, Psychological, Thriller
MAL - Download
XDCC: [A-Kraze]Monsters on A-Kraze|Konata in #NEWS

A Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany learns of administrative politicking for scheduling which patient to treat: Beset by moral crisis, he refuses orders and operates on a ten year old gunshot victim - saving his life - rather than the town's mayor, who dies.

Tenma is stripped of privilege, loses his career path, his beautiful fiancee leaves him and he is suspected of killings in the hospital. Years later, witness to a similar murder, he tracks a serial killer who he fears was once the boy he saved, a monster he created.

This one is 74 episodes of carefully built plot, adding to the drama and complexity with each episode. Over in romance I said that Karin is nice light and fluffy anime to use as a break from a heavy one ... well, Monster is the heavy one. ;)

While this has a few overtones of Death Note, you actually care about the characters here. It's neat to see how much Dr. Tenma touches the hearts of assorted people across Germany. The mystery is strong while setbacks and surprises are rife through the series. It's a very wild ride and I strongly recommend it.

Kojima Masayuki directed this like he did Master Keaton. The setting and animation style are similar, while this is a much darker story.

Pictures
Special thanks to Feathered Angel for the screenshots!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:43:42 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
Re: Other: Horror, Supernatural, ...
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:36 pm »
Shiki

Horror, Mystery, Supernatural
MAL - Torrents: 1080p BD, 720p BD[10bit], 720p BD[8bit]

It's a hot summer in Sotoba village. Gossip starts when a new family moves into a long empty mansion in the dead of night. A slave to fashion named Megumi has always dreamed of escaping small town life to the big city. She goes missing after stating her intent to visit this new family (in the hopes of finding like-minded socialites). The village turns out in search of her only to find her in the forest - pale, listless and nearly comatose. The local doctor is mystified by Megumi's case - and her later demise. A series of anemia-related deaths sweeps the village and the doctor racks his brain to determine their cause.

As you might guess, it's about vampires. However, there is no sparkling in the sunlight here. This show goes back to the gritty roots of the vampire mythos to put real monsters in the spotlight: They're vulnerable to stakes and sunlight, have hypnotic powers and need to be invited to come inside. And they need blood - lots of it - to supply their rapidly growing population.

The plot develops slowly but well - there are many subtle and intelligent touches. The characters also show that humans are supremely adaptable whether becoming those "forsaken by God" or battling them. The large cast is well defined and the 22 episodes (and 2 specials) even have time to show the development in many of them.

There are some great funny moments, but it's a horror show first and foremost. There isn't much fan service (although Megumi is pretty hot - dead or alive). The gore gets heavier in later episodes, but it complements the plot as it heats up.

All in all it's a great ride!

Pictures
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:54:55 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
Re: Other: Horror, Mystery, Supernatural, ...
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:18 pm »
Mawaru Penguindrum

Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Psychological
MAL - Torrents: 1080p BD, 720p BD, 576p BD

Brothers Kanba and Shouma live with their little sister Himari. Their parents are gone - explained only much later. Himari is in and out of the hospital with a terminal illness. One day she is feeling well and they all celebrate "Himari Day" with a visit to the aquarium. She is entranced by the penguins and Shouma buys her a cute penguin hat. She then collapses ... and dies. A magical miracle occurs - Himari comes back to life - but she is sometimes possessed by the hat. The twins are tasked to find the mysterious Penguindrum if they want to keep their sister alive. The show then continues on its strange journey.

This is a very weird show, but also compelling - an original 24 ep. series by Brain's Base. It starts with a light and silly magical story line that swirls into something deeper and darker episode by episode. New characters are added to the mix in a smooth and even pace, intensifying the plotlines and the mystery. This is a heartwarming, touching and creepy-as-hell mix of love, fate and revenge. It's a love-it or hate-it show that won't fit everyone, but it's worth checking out to see if it suits your tastes. If it does, you're in for a wild ride!

Pictures
'Caps again courtesy of Random Curiosity.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:58:42 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »
Hyouka

Mystery, Slice of Life
MyAnimeList overview - Torrents: [Coalgirls] 720p BD, [Mazui] 480p
XDCC: Search for "hyouka" here for Ginpachi-Sensei packs ([Mazui] 720p).

Review shamelessly swiped from Krozam's What Did You Just Finish post and condensed slightly:

This is an excellent anime. At first I was somewhat underwhelmed by the slice of life element's domination and the 'insignificant' nature of the mysteries. On the other hand, I was quite impressed they made those 'insignificant' mysteries so interesting. I also liked the characters and the calm atmosphere, and the fact that they didn't rush the story, adapting it into 22 episodes, instead of the too common 12-13.

Regarding characters, I find the protagonist Houtarou quite easy to identify with: I'm also lazy and somewhat unsocial, lol. I also like the smart type over all useless idiots and most action heroes. I don't find Eru quite as adorable as everyone else seems to, but she's cute enough and amusing. I actually prefer Mayaka. Her personality is darker and more complex, but still not a downer and I like her character design more. Satoshi is an unusually good 'sidekick' character with a deep and complex personality. It was a delight to see the story peel off layer after layer of his carefree exterior.

Later on there are some really intriguing mysteries, though they never stray far from the minor everyday problems concept. Throughout the series there is a pleasant, calm but powerful atmosphere that kept me hooked. The dialogue is good, enough to carry this action-less show through with flying colours. There's a calculated amount of humour to lighten up the mood. As a spice, there is some romantic tension between the two pairs, though the romances don't really develop in any significant way. The romantic pairs are another thing I like - no annoying triangles - and the pairings are clear from the start.

Overall, a pleasant slice of life mystery show with deep and multidimensional characters. 4/5 stars.

Pictures
Screencaps courtesy of RandomC as usual.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:35:24 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:44 am »
Memories

Drama, Horror, Psychological, Sci-Fi
MyAnimeList overview - Torrents: 720p, 480p

Memories is a collection of three short films produced by Katsuhiro Otomo of Akira fame. My favorite of the three is Magnetic Rose, whose script was written by Satoshi Kon - another whose work I've loved in anything he does.

Magnetic Rose focuses on a deep space salvage ship which receives a distress signal. They find a giant space station surrounded by derelict ships and an anomalously strong magnetic field. Two crew members enter the station to find the inside decorated like an opulent opera house, but in varying states of decay. They learn the station was owned by an opera diva named Eva Friedal, suspected of the murder of her husband. As they explore further, strange sights and encounters assail them.

In Stink Bomb a lab technician with the flu mistakenly takes an experimental drug that reacts with his flu shot. He soon becomes a walking weapon of mass destruction due to his pestilential body odor.

Cannon Fodder is set in a walled city that is always at war. Each building has a cannon and the entire population is devoted to maintaining and shooting these cannon.

The film dates from 1995, so the animation is a bit old, but each short has its own unique charm. It's well worth the time, if just for the intense psychological trip of Magnetic Rose. However, the black humor in Stink bomb is fun as well as the thoughtful nature of Cannon Fodder.

Pictures
Magnetic Rose
(click to show/hide)
Stink Bomb
(click to show/hide)
Cannon Fodder
(click to show/hide)

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:02 am »
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu
<Parasyte - The Maxim>

Action, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi
MyAnimeList overview
Torrents: 720p mkv/mp4, 480p
XDCC: 720p mkv/mp4, 480p

In my mind, this is the show to beat for Anime of the Decade.

It begins with alien spores quietly raining down from the sky one night. Tens of thousands of Japanese people are infected: The spores burrow to the brain, eat your head and take over your body. The parasites then become carnivores/cannibals, eating other humans. The mass media dubs the initial killing spree as the mincemeat murders. The parasite portion can morph to whatever shape it can conceive of and their potential intelligence rivals humans.

Izumi Shinichi is listening to headphones in his room that night, blocking one of the pathways to his brain. The spore then gets sneezed out of his nose and Shinichi freaks out when he sees it. After his flailure, it burrows into his hand, working its way up his arm. Shinichi uses his headphone cord as an improvised tourniquet, which prevents the parasite from reaching his head. In moments it takes over his right arm, but is now trapped there. Shinichi and Migi (Japanese for "right") must then learn to coexist.

Parasyte began as a manga in the late '80s and early '90s. After watching episode 1, I snarfed up all ten volumes in one sitting. I've been inflicting this show on five different friends weekly and have seen each episode a good six times. Every change I've noticed from the manga has only been an improvement to make the plot flow better or to make the art and setting more timely.

The animation is just beautiful and the backgrounds are breathtaking at times. I'm told the delinquent clothing styles match current Japanese trends. I did start a game with one friend to spot the CGI people in the background. They're actually used quite well, often a little out of focus and obscured by the high quality cel-style main characters. The director is not afraid of gore, but the camera angles don't glory in it. The setting feels very current and real. While some scenes happen at school, a lot more occurs in the rest of the city or even the countryside. I love the soundtrack which ranges from quiet piano pieces to dubstep and a metallic OP song.

Overall, this show gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

Pictures
Screencaps courtesy of RandomC as usual, and a little googling.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:59:17 pm by Hanover Fist »