Author Topic: Tomoyo After Game Error Thread  (Read 58016 times)

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
  • Keyfag and Type-Moon junkie
    • View Profile
    • Rokudaime's YouTube account
Re: Tomoyo After Game Error Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 03:25:34 am »
Right, so I just talked to swiss. He told me that the way the game works is the SEEN.TXT sends "op codes" (basically, a number that translates to an action) within the actual game. Now, Elliot Galaysher, the RLVM creator, decoded them for most of the game, but he didn't do the ones for D&T. We've contacted him, and he's kind of willing to help, and swiss could also do it, theoretically, if he spent some time figuring out how it works, but it's a LOT of work, so neither of them has the time needed to do it right now. So if we do work on trying to fix the problem in the future, it will be a while from now, I'm afraid.

swiss tells me that if he does work on it, it will be through RLVM's Git repository, so if anybody else wants to help and work on it (whether you know how Git works, or are thinking of learning), feel free to do so. RLVM is open source after all. Look here for details on how to use Git and GitHub: https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo  And after that, look here for details on how to work specifically on RLVM's Git repository: http://www.elliotglaysher.org/rlvm/contributing.html

Finally, one more thing: You might ("might" being the key word here) be able to use WINE (http://www.winehq.org/) to run TA and D&T on Windows without problems...but if you do, be warned that the savefiles will not work.

Yes, i'm familiar with github.  I use it with developing Minecraft Land Generator, and I'm also using it with my Clannad and Tomoyo After diagrams I'm creating.

The only issue with contributing, is that I don't know C++, which RLVM is written in.  I know Visual Basic and Java...   I did learn some simple C many years ago, but never used it since.

I've started playing TA under wine.  So far it works, but I've only gotten to the first set of questions...  it will be a few days before i can make enough progress to actually play D&T.

Edit:  i'm currently playing with RLVM and wine at the same time.  its interesting to see the differences.  Wine is much faster, but RLVM looks nicer.

Well, if you're serious about contributing, and you really want to learn, there are a couple of tutorials available on how to use C++:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/introduction/
http://www.cprogramming.com/begin.html
I'd ask swiss if he could teach you (assuming you really want to help), but I'm afraid he's way too busy for that...
Taisetsu no mono wa, jibun no mite, kite, kangaeru koto sa.

Offline Morlok8k

• Closet Otaku
  • Huh? What? Volleyball?
    • View Profile
    • my github
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:11 am »
Well, if you're serious about contributing, and you really want to learn, there are a couple of tutorials available on how to use C++:
I'd ask swiss if he could teach you (assuming you really want to help), but I'm afraid he's way too busy for that...

If i didn't have my own projects already, or didnt work a full time job, i'd jump at that.

Suffice to say, jumping into a project like that, with no real knowledge of the language, would make me feel kinda like a script-kiddie.  (though it is how i learned Java, and became the project leader of Minecraft Land Generator...)

The idea intrigues me though...  I might poke around the source a bit.

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:07 pm »

If i didn't have my own projects already, or didnt work a full time job, i'd jump at that.

Suffice to say, jumping into a project like that, with no real knowledge of the language, would make me feel kinda like a script-kiddie.  (though it is how i learned Java, and became the project leader of Minecraft Land Generator...)

If you ever have the time, and feel like trying, I say go for it! ;-) We all initially start at scratch after all, but you're already way past that. ^^

Offline Morlok8k

• Closet Otaku
  • Huh? What? Volleyball?
    • View Profile
    • my github
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:47 am »

If you ever have the time, and feel like trying, I say go for it! ;-) We all initially start at scratch after all, but you're already way past that. ^^

lol, yeah.  Hell, yesterday i celebrated the 20th anniversary of getting my first computer.  An Apple IIe, where to do anything, you had to program in BASIC.  I quickly learned BASIC at the age of 7.
Code: [Select]
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
20 GOTO 10
ahh, memories...

Well, I did submit a pull request to rlvm to get the ball started on the Tomoyo After .dll issue...  but its got a long way to go before anything is functional.

Offline SwisonCheese

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 03:17:20 am »
It's probably been a month since the last time someone has posted a report here BUT I really need your help. I know in the past people had issues with the REALLIVE.exe not playing the opening video. That's happening to me right now. I uninstalled the game 5 months ago because of the same problem except for the fact that I DID NOT KNOW that it was a video opening problem. I've tried anything and ALMOST everything. Such as, replacing the video, changing it to be played by windows media player and getting CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack). Yes I am desperate because I realized I was an idiot for uninstalling the game months ago because of a video problem. I know people got past this issue somehow and I really need the answer. Please and thank you. :'(

EDIT#I tried playing the japanese version of the game and the video STILL didn't load. This should be some useful information.

Clyde Swiss
Future Pokémon Master

P.S. I noticed you referred someone as "swiss" in the forums. At first I thought it was me from the future probably helping my past self but I realized it couldn't have been possible. But anyhows, my name is Swison. Nice to meetcha. :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:32:59 am by SwisonCheese »

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 05:30:08 am »
The swiss I was talking about is one of our staff members, so yes, I was not talking about you. ;-) As for your opening video problem, I need to clarify one thing with you first. Are you aware that the opening video does not, and is not supposed to, play neither when you launch the game, nor when you you start a new game? Many people have thought there was something wrong with their game just because the opening video did not play when they launched the game or when they started playing, but that's not it. It's not supposed to. The video plays around 10-15 minutes into the game. So, you have to start a new game, and then play for a bit, and THEN the video will play, after a little while. ;-)

Offline SwisonCheese

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:49 am »
Oh. At first I was confused about what you said but I think you misunderstood me. Yes, the video plays after July 2nd, I believe. I think the final dialogue before the video was "It was a rather fiery dinner." After that dialogue, the screen fades into black and then it crashes. It has happened to me every time and I don't think I'll be able to continue if I don't get this fixed. Sorry about not being specific about where it hangs. Thank you.

Clyde Swiss
Future Adjudicator
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:29:42 am by SwisonCheese »

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 04:48:05 am »
Ah, you're talking about that bug that causes the game to crash when it tries to load the opening video. I thought you just meant you could play the game, but couldn't see the OP. :P

Well, that problem is a bit more complicated. It has to do with your video setup. Your codecs and filters and such. Most likely your vfw filter chain has been broken, because some of the codec packs you have installed on your system have been messing with it when they really shouldn't be. How it works is a little complicated, but, basically, a vfw filter chain determines what Windows passes stuff off to for decoding first, and like anything else, it must have a default value. You don't mention what operating system you are using (always include details on your system when posting errors, as per the guidelines posted on the first page of this error reporting thread), and I'm not sure how it is with Windows XP, but Windows 7 at least has a set of native filters to handle most stuff, using its own codecs for decoding several audio and video formats, and so using third party DirectShow filters instead of the native filters is not possible without making difficult changes to the Windows Registry. The problem is that some programs and players, which are able to use third party filters just fine on their own, try to very aggressively replace Windows' native filter set with their own, basically telling Windows "Let the program decide for itself which filterset to use!". This can sometimes break games, because the game is expecting the Windows filter set to handle the video/audio, and handle it in a certain way. This way the game doesn't have to actually think about it. If Windows tells a program to choose a filterset, but the program was never DESIGNED to choose a filterset to begin with, then bad things happen. LAV for example still has some issues where in certain situations it can crash when it is called by programs as the filterset.

As such, one last resort solution is to simply delete the opening video (or move it to somewhere outside of the game folder, so you can watch it manually outside of the game, using the media player of your choice). Filters can't mess up when they can't play. :-) You only said you've tried "replacing" the video, so I'm gonna assume you haven't tried deleting it. Then again, if you delete it, then you won't be able to see it when playing the game. Nothing huge of course, since you can play it manually with the player of your choice outside of the game, but there is a possible "proper" solution, if you're a little adventurous. You can download this tool: http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm , and then open up the prefered decoders, and make sure everything is set to either "microsoft" or "merit". Setting it to "microsoft" would probably be the best option to try out first, and then if that doesn't work, you can try "merit", though it's possible that that one may not work either. The idea is that setting the filterset to Windows, if it isn't set to it already, may fix the problem because now the game should say "Okay Windows, go handle your video thingy". It may not work, but it's worth a shot if you want, and if all else fails, you can always delete the OP video. Bear in mind though, that making these changes will affect everything else that uses your codecs as well, so use the program with caution. If it breaks everything, then you need to set things back to how they were before you made the changes.

A long response I know, and it may not have been as helpful as you had hoped for, but I hope it was of some use at least. :-)

Offline SwisonCheese

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry but I run Windows 7. I should have mentioned that. Umm I tried the tool you told me about and set it to windows. It didn't work and it also didn't work after I set it to merit. Afterwards, I deleted the video and played it and this time when the screen goes black, this message pops up.
EDIT: OMG I'M SUCH AN IDIOT. WHEN THE MESSAGE APPEARED AGAIN, I THOUGHT MAYBE I SHOULD PRESS ENTER AND SEE WHAT IT WILL DO AND IT MOVED ON. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Clyde Swiss
Future Renegade

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 06:49:31 pm »
You're welcome. :-) I'm sorry I couldn't help you in such a way as to get the video to work for you in-game.

Offline hasknight

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 04:49:08 am »
So i just got the game, and after installing the English patch i tried opening it and got the error in error 1. If I hit OK, the game starts and the main screen is translated but when I hit new game the error 2 picture pops up, no text besides that repeating over and over. I looked through the thread and saw this on the first page, and so I tried downloading both the 2005 and 2008 versions, but nothing has changed. Do i need to be running run of the versions of the program while i play? Or is there anything else you know of? FYI i'm on windows 7 prem... thx in advance for any help!

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 09:49:48 pm »
I'm not sure about the first error message (I'd have to get someone who can read Japanese to check what it says, since I can't tell), but from the sound of things you're still able to run the game despite it. As for the second error, the link to the 2005 SP1 (x86) version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables that Delwack included in the readme is wrong, unfortunately (I'm still trying to get him to fix that...), and you've also not installed the 2010 version, so just to be sure I'll provide all 3 of the correct links here. Make sure you install all 3.
2005 sp1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638
2008 sp1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582
2010 sp1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328

If you still get the "unable to format text" message after that, let me know.

Offline ChefMcWolf

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 06:29:50 am »
Err… having a bit of a problem here. I already installed the game and installed the patch to the file that has a bunch of Japanese symbols and the word key, but when I started up the VN it showed the font selection menu right? So I chose Times New Roman and then the text is still in Japanese. Or at least something I can’t recognize. Am I using the wrong font? Or am I opening the wrong application? I’m very confused but really want to play this. ;___;

Offline digift

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Tomoyo After Game Error Thread - 2ND JULY FIX (OP)
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2014, 12:05:59 am »
Yo

For those having issues with 2nd July...
After the day ends and the application crashes, it's because of the OP (happened the same with Steins;Gate and Chaos:Head).
Go to the game folder open "MOV" folder and change the video name to something else.

Done...

PS: It's some problem with the video codecs installed (CCCP)... :)

Offline CrimsonEcho

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 05:08:25 am »
Where the error occurred
Details on the error
Details on your system

1) All throughout game
2) No Japanese Voices at all. I can hear the music perfectly and I know when they are supposed to be talking because the background music lowers when Tomoyo is speaking but no audio dialogue comes out at all. This has been happening after purchasing the game and starting it. I downloaded it on my laptop to check if it is a game problem but it works on my laptop. It is a computer problem but I am not sure how to fix it for myself. Please help I sent an email to VisualArts as well but no reply. :(
3) Windows 10 Pro