Author Topic: [RPG] The Wings of Hall OOC  (Read 103843 times)

Offline tigershark13

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] The Wings of Hall OOC
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2011, 02:27:19 pm »
I'm guessing Caithair would be level 2 or three

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »
A few things I'd like to stress and clarify, in case my wording in the text isn't clear enough:
- Ki-users don't gain levels, they gain abilities. The abilities are ranked, but in theory you can learn them at any order. In practise, it's exceedingly rare that any higher level abilities are learned before gaining a good foundation by mastering a few low-level abilities.
- The times I mentioned that one usually has to spend are per ability, not per level. If one wanted to master all four lvl 5 abilities, it'd take around 10 years, not 2 and half. And that's intensive training, unless you're an exceptional genius.
- Learning an ability and mastering one are two very different things. The times I mentioned are for mastering abilities, but they're also for focused traning. You can learn to use an ability in half the time (of intensive training), but your grasp of the ability will be shaky: the ability will be weak and unfocused compared to if you'd mastered it, and it can fail you at a critical moment. Or you can master an ability spending twice the time in years, but less time each day, leaving you plenty of time for other things.

Understand that ki is not easy. Compared to magic, it's difficult, in addition to being draining on the body. It's a poor replacement for natural magical abilities - or god-given magic - it's not even meant to be equal to magic as far as game balance is concerned. But, it can be learned by anybody, even those not lucky enough to be born with magic, without having to serve a god in exchange. It's a power entirely your own, not borrowed from the nature or a god. For many ki-users, it's a thing of great pride.

Edit: One more thing I just realized I forgot to mention: Ki-abilities that work within the body aren't terribly consuming, they mainly just stress the body, instead of consuming ki. Abilities that expel ki from the body are much more consuming, but they generally aren't as stressful to the body. Both tire you out, but in a different way. Losing ki is the more dangerous one and usually recovers slower. (Setsuna is an exception to this rule as well, his ki recovers much faster than that of a normal human.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:22:56 am by Krozam »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline tigershark13

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2011, 03:27:18 pm »
hmmm then I'd reckon Cathair'd probably just have Teikan Dou and Yok Dou, since he's certainly not a master at Ki

Offline Shion

• Closet Otaku
  • Nothing beats a friend quite like a hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2011, 07:19:38 pm »
I'm thinking the woad paint in Soul's character and mine....and don't we have another from our culture as well? Anyway, I think the woad paint is supposed to have a similar effect to

Teikan Dou: Accelerating your ki-flow, improves your reflexes and endurance.
and
Ganshuu En: Infusing your muscles with ki, improves your strength, and hardens your flesh somewhat.

Except that the paint's effect hardens the skin to an armor-like quality, yes? Now, my character hasn't learned to use ki (yet), and I believe Soul stated that the woad was activated by ki. But if it's paint blessed by our war god, wouldn't it be more along the lines of holy magic? If Soul could clarify this, that would be great.
I'd like to know what my girl can and cannot do, but if she can't use the specials, I guess she'll just have to rely on distracting her enemies with her nakedness while she shoots them in the face. >:D
I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »
The warpaint is magic, it's got nothing to do with ki, except for its secondary ability, which is activated by a primitive form of Teikan Dou. If I recall correctly, its primary abilities are constantly on, powered by magic from your god. The power is stored in the paint when it's made and blessed by your priests. The secondary ability, which releases all the magic in a short rush of power, is activated by accelerating your ki-flow. Naturally, it's available only to those who have achieved a certain level of control over their ki and are able to at least shortly accelerate their ki-flow.

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Popularly known as Piddles
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2011, 01:54:21 am »
I'm a special case :3

Setsuna Ando-- I'll add this to my character profile.

Sou Kata: Simply learned over the years.

Zai Dou: A side effect of learning to move his Ki between himself and Xia. Allowed himself to expel Ki when Xia was 'full'.

Seisen Chuu: Kept Xia alive. Kept himself alive.

Eein Chuu: Look up one line.

Teikan Dou+: Done unconsciously due to his dangerously high amount of Ki, which was constantly moving - Reason for the plus.

Kyou Yuu: In the process of learning. Really, he only uses it when he wants to. He's learning after all.

Nyou Yuu: Nyou Yuu

EDIT: Sorry, there were just so many! I chose mostly the Yuu abilities thanks to the fact that he has to master channeling.

I see your point with Jiatsu Yuu and, as I'm not in the mood to fix it, I'm taking it off.

I also want to point out something. Is it possible that there are connections of sorts between the types? Say, Dou users can learn Yuu much easier than, say, a Chuu user?

And about his condition: I just put it on their thinking it was cool. Now I have to work something out to fit with the Ki thing... Hrm... I'll have to elaborate on your Ki - Center and Ki - Flow idea to make this work. Give me some time please :3
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:45:24 pm by InfinityStream »
I didn't like all those pics in my sig...

www.fark.com

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2011, 02:28:24 am »
Explain to me, why Jisatsu Yuu? He's the one with excess ki, why would he need to learn the ability to absorb ki?

I'm not sure if Zai Dou is the ability you're looking for that purpose... although I'm not strongly opposed to Setsuna having learned the ability. I think it's more likely that his ki-flow is simply so strong that his ki-paths are more resilient to damage than usually. Well, to the kind of damage that Zai Dou is meant to repair, the kind of damage that hinders the flow. On the other hand, they're more prone to the kind of "burn out" damage that Seki Dou can cause.

Seisen and Eian Chuu are obvious, Setsuna must have them. No problem with the Teikan Dou either.

Kyou Yuu is a bit high level ability to have learned in just two years, especially without a master teacher. If you must have a destructive ability, how about Sou Kata instead?

Also, you forgot Nyou Yuu. It's obvious from your character description that he's learned it, probably even mastered it.

Edit: Also, one thing about your character's special condition: I think it's caused by his ki-center not working properly and not controlling his ki properly. Because he's been that way since birth, his body has had time to adapt to the condition... but if he were to learn Seki Dou, he wouldn't gain as much benefit as a normal person, because his ki-center doesn't store much ki, it already keeps most of it in circulation.

Edit2: Forgot to mention one thing - check the earlier clarification post.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:20:56 am by Krozam »

Offline Zerpo

• Rin's Slave
  • C-Box Member
  • Yandere
  • Jimmy 'Kage' Kuneto
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:09 am »
Based off Jimmy's training he would be around level 2 or 3 but would of also be proficient with Sou Kata and semi proficient with the softer way as well. Sou Kata and the improved reflexes/senses would come in pretty handy for an assassin :) Healing abilities wouldnt really be useful to an assassin so he wouldnt know those.  Will add this into my bio. Also glad we will be getting back on track soon, looking forward to how we actually manage to complete our mission
SO much love...
Firstly, DAMN YOU ZERPO for picking three of my favourites.
Damn you Zerpo =_=

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:56 pm »
Anyone remember when no one could contact TheThing?

Apparently, he and Irie are siblings so the best way to contact the two is through each other.

Just a suggestion :3

www.fark.com

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »
Wasn't it Halo? I have Thingy on my MSN... And now I know how to contact Halo as well, just send him a PM and he'll get a mail about it.

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:06 pm »
I thought it was Thingy 0_0'

www.fark.com

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2011, 07:57:23 am »
It's a trap! Somebody save my character! :o But be careful, others near him are in danger as well. This time, I'm leaving it up to you whether your character survives without a scratch or not, I won't be using my GM'y powers to determine the results for each character.

I poked Soul daily, but he's being lazy and still hasn't posted, so I figured I can't wait anymore.

Septe, sorry for godmodding your character a bit, it was necessary.

At this point, I don't know who is actively checking the forum and who isn't, so just post when you're ready, we'll make that the new turn order. I don't think that'll cause any harm at this point.

Offline Hollow nyan-chan

• Dragon Power!
  • C-Box Member
  • Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »
I followed what you said and posted first apparently as i hope it is fine and edited my characters bio a bit as well. Now lets see who posts after me and what happens :D

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »
I hope it's okay what I've done in my last 2 posts :-/

Wasn't it Halo?

Nope, I'm Irie's brother. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:48:15 pm by TheThing »
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.
Owner & Project leader for NFP Encodings & ForPitch.
Making lolis cry since 2011

Offline Krozam

• Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2011, 04:08:58 am »
No, I meant that Halo is the one we couldn't contact at some point.