Author Topic: VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better  (Read 25861 times)

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
  • Keyfag and Type-Moon junkie
    • View Profile
    • Rokudaime's YouTube account
Re: VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:09 am »
Well said. That is indeed the case with most adaptations, though there are a few select ones that are very good, such as the examples you mentioned. I would like to mention again though that I think the Utawarerumono anime is a good adaptation of the VN, even though the VN is still far superior. I consider it to be pretty impossible to cram EVERYTHING from a big VN into an anime though, since certain scenes/dialogue don't make the transition into anime all that well. Therefore I don't believe that everything from a VN has to be included in a potential anime version, for that anime to be a good adaptation.

Anyway, imagine how awesome it would be if they made a proper anime series out of the Heaven's Feel route from the Fate/stay night VN, in the same level of quality as that seen in the Fate/Zero anime! :D I seriously doubt that would ever happen, but it's still my dream! <3

It could happen! I see Fate/Zero stuff all over Akihabara. Maybe they could do a high-quality miniseries for Heaven's Feel...

Well, considering the Fate route got an anime series, and UBW a movie, it would make sense and be fitting to make HF an OVA series. ^^ That said, I think it would be really cool if they made it a movie-series, like they did with Kara no Kyoukai.
Taisetsu no mono wa, jibun no mite, kite, kangaeru koto sa.

Offline Kiyoyuki_Takeda

• Closet Otaku
  • Mission Activate!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »
First post in this forum...
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi - Nuff said: That's the lowest level of work I've ever seen in my 12 years of experience in the Anime and VN realms (even worse than the FA or Akaneiro), so fuming about the series that I actually wrote a extremely detailed walk-through page on the REAL Heroine for the story on a Chinese Forum when the VN Translation (Partial) Patch first came out. No prizes for guessing who that was, and looking at the comments on the post for this anime really convinced my guess was right all along: Nakatsugawa Ui was NEVER the heroine in the first place, and especially speaking from the viewpoint of someone who has actually played the VN it was based on. And this rage keeps burning on till this very day, first time in many years.
The Battlers' Pledge:
▪ Treat others the same way they want to treat you. Judge people by deed, not by character or authority.
▪ Mutual Respect must be mutually earned, however powerful he or she is. High power means higher responsibility.
▪ With Humanity, Mutual Respect and Selflessness as the driving force to outdo yourself, outdo worlds and outdo reality!

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 05:43:06 pm »
I liked Ui. I know many don't agree, but I was happy with Hoshizora, both overall and with the girl who won. It was clichéd as hell, sure, but instead of making me annoyed, it made me nostalgic about all the good romances I've seen/read. Never failed to make me smile. Anyway, she may not have been the main heroine in the VN, but I know for a fact that she has a route, and I don't blame the anime scriptwriter for choosing to follow one of the other routes instead of the main route. VN's are nice that way, they offer you options.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Kiyoyuki_Takeda

• Closet Otaku
  • Mission Activate!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »
I liked Ui. I know many don't agree, but I was happy with Hoshizora, both overall and with the girl who won. It was clichéd as hell, sure, but instead of making me annoyed, it made me nostalgic about all the good romances I've seen/read. Never failed to make me smile. Anyway, she may not have been the main heroine in the VN, but I know for a fact that she has a route, and I don't blame the anime scriptwriter for choosing to follow one of the other routes instead of the main route. VN's are nice that way, they offer you options.
My hatred for this anime was NEVER on how they chose the heroine, it's more geared towards the storyline buildup to making the choice of heroine (Ui) which is not exactly done in a proper manner that is expected of any Visual Novel that was remade into anime is supposed to be done. Most of the hatred against choosing Ui in the forums that I previously reside in is mostly based on the fact that many of the users there have already played the Hoshizora Visual Novel itself (myself included) prior to watching the anime (Anime was aired nearly 1 year after VN Release in April 2010) and I agree with them on based on three important points:
1. The main important points that focuses on the character Nakatsugawa Ui mostly appears on the common route of the game. The only sole point that focuses on Ui in her own route consists of simply half an episode focusing on the relationship between her and her own married brother who is in Tokyo (that detail wasn't even mentioned in the anime but was a mentioned point within Ui's own route in the VN itself).
2. Plenty of storyline-based screen time was given to other heroines in the story in this order: Madoka Koumoto (around 2.5 episodes, including 2x past recollections + 1 full ep that results in NB + Miko-dance description storyline among other things); Ibuki Hinata (1.5 episodes, 1 full ep with NB + archery scenes which she is revolved upon); Hina Sakai (1.5 episodes, focusing on her trying to say sorry to Kazuma, the leaving-house scenario and tug-of-war against Taizou Sakai (which is Hina's father, not mentioned in anime but mentioned in VN)); Toudou Koyori (1 episode, focuses on Hikonan Race and Keita's recovery, mentioned on VN into Koyori's route); Toudou Tsumugi (0.5 epsiodes, mainly game center scenario); and last of all, Nakatsugawa Ui (0.5 episodes, on the Onii-chan relationship as well as his marriage which made her feel left out).
3a. VN SPOILER ALERT:
(click to show/hide)
3b. VN SPOILER ALERT 2:
(click to show/hide)
In addition:
(click to show/hide)

If the anime was supposed to promote the game of sorts, I can say it has been quite a failure and a spectacular one, even worse than the Akaneiro anime done several years ago, although it may trigger most people who can get access to the VN to get it ASAP to find out the real truth behind the storyline.
Summary: The artwork, as well as the realization of the characters mostly close to the details found in the VN have largely been done doing decent justice to the original work, it's the storyline and the way it was written and played out that dragged it all down. To put it simply, it's just like building a tower without laying the important foundations to make it stand upright, and you know what happens to the tower when anyone does this.
Only Advice: Go get access to the VN itself and play through the whole storyline, and you'll see how the anime has not done the VN or Nakatsugawa Ui any storyline justice in this respect. Or get the manga version if you're lucky enough (there is also an officially-sanctioned manga version on this. 2 Volumes drawn by Kurumi Morisaki).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:53:06 pm by Kiyoyuki_Takeda »
The Battlers' Pledge:
▪ Treat others the same way they want to treat you. Judge people by deed, not by character or authority.
▪ Mutual Respect must be mutually earned, however powerful he or she is. High power means higher responsibility.
▪ With Humanity, Mutual Respect and Selflessness as the driving force to outdo yourself, outdo worlds and outdo reality!

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:01 pm »
Eh, while you've made me slightly more interested in the VN, I'm happy enough with the anime, so I don't think I'll be reading the original work. Akane-Iro is a different case, because there the heroine I was interested in didn't get much focus. I intend to read the Akane-Iro VN one of these days.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Kiyoyuki_Takeda

• Closet Otaku
  • Mission Activate!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »
Eh, while you've made me slightly more interested in the VN, I'm happy enough with the anime, so I don't think I'll be reading the original work. Akane-Iro is a different case, because there the heroine I was interested in didn't get much focus. I intend to read the Akane-Iro VN one of these days.
The ball is in your court on whether to get the Hoshizora VN to read the real story. I myself aggressively pursued the VN Storyline simply because of real worry about the direction the anime storyline is heading, and was in fact proven right about the bad direction it is heading. By the way, Hoshizora VN got a full translation (in Chinese) completed for some time already, and I mostly can understand the VN storyline very well since Chinese is my second language and also self-learnt a little Japanese on the way.
More spoilers (be warned, may cause dropping lower jaws):
(click to show/hide)
The Battlers' Pledge: