Author Topic: Original Material?  (Read 12579 times)

Offline Dys

• Registered Tsundere
  • Global Moderator
  • Cosplayer
  • Wasuremono wa arimasen ka?
    • View Profile
Original Material?
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:50 am »
There's been a decreasing amount of this in anime production as of late.

It seems like a lot of anime released the past few years have been manga adaptions, eroge/VN adaptions, sequels to other popular anime.

Personally, I've enjoyed a lot of the adaptions. Some of my favourite anime are visual novel or manga adaptions. Examples like Clannad, Minami-ke and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni come to mind.

My question is, have people been enjoying the adaptions? Or perhaps the consensus is that we need more original, straight to anime material?

Offline Nanakoto

• Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
Re: Original Material?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »
I'm happy with adaptions but I do want to see more original animes because if all anime is based on adaptions, they will run out of things sooner or later and the anime industry will be littered with fillers.

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:26 pm »
Even if they were adaptations, I've almost always found the anime first and then occasionally looked up the manga or VN afterward. My one exception was reading a few chapters of Usagi Drop online last year (?) and it was a strange sensation of deja vu watching that first ep.

I like and approve of original content, but my opinion won't have much effect on the industry as a whole, where sales figures and money dominate.

Two recent adaptations I thought good were Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora. I liked their flows in how they went back and followed the different routes rather than trying to meld all of the routes into one indecisive protagonist. I also liked how the YnS TV airing only went back to the last save point rather than all the way to the start. While I enjoyed Shuffle as an anime, the protagonist came across as more likeable when the routes and emotions were distinct in the VN.

Offline Elvin21

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
I think people enjoying adaptations. Aside from it is animated, the anime is what the expected to be from what they read/played. There are some anime that other people say the VN or the manga is better than the anime because it does'nt lived up to their expectation. But what the heck, its business.

But I like to see an original, straight to anime material. Although it is more challenging in a way because you've got to think of the story, the plot and other things.

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Popularly known as Piddles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »
Isn't No. 6 original? I haven't heard or seen a manga/VN/game/book about it so...

I could have missed something though...
I didn't like all those pics in my sig...

www.fark.com

Offline Zarich

• Pettanko Lover
  • C-Box Member
  • Closet Otaku
  • Hammerheart-ed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »
Isn't No. 6 original? I haven't heard or seen a manga/VN/game/book about it so...

I could have missed something though...

NO. 6 isn't Origional. It started out as a nine volume LN that started in 2003 and ending Jun 14 of this year

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:40 am »
I like a lot of the original shows that have been in Fuji TV's noitaminA time block. Last season's Ano Hana is one of my favorites of all time. As far as I can wiki, it was an original production. I welcome more original content should it arrive. I hope from time to time it's as excellent as Ano Hana.

One sequel I'm liking is the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou. It just gives me a happy feeling with the resolution of each story arc/episode. Usagi Drop, adapted from the manga is also a favorite for me this season.

I think both originals and adaptations have the potential to be shows I like, but my hopes lean more toward the original shows.

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Popularly known as Piddles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »
Then I did miss something.

While there is a lack of original works, I feel the reason is that people would rather watch anime version of their favorite manga/VN/LN/game etc. Original works would have a hard time advertising since they have no fanbase as of release, while anime's based off of other works have a decent fanbase if it's made it to the anime stage. 

I would also say that it's a business tactic. People will watch what they've heard of.
I didn't like all those pics in my sig...

www.fark.com

Offline CASANOVA

• C-Box Member
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:33 pm »
Some adaptations are bad other are good just like original anime, i think that a original anime costs more to produce so companies stick with adaptations