Author Topic: Gameplay Heavy Visual Novels  (Read 7280 times)

Offline Aevumus

• Closet Otaku
  • ~Tsun
    • View Profile
Gameplay Heavy Visual Novels
« on: November 23, 2012, 06:17:44 am »
It's been a while since I've gone through a gameplay heavy VN, and I think it's about time I pick one up.

I've already spent months on both Sengoku Rance and Kamidori: Alchemy Meister, and both of them were addicting and incredibly fun.

Since I'm not sure if there are other high quality ones out there, I'm kind of hoping someone here can recommend me one good enough to absorb hours of my time, every day, for months on end.

Anybody here have a few that they'd recommend?
I-It's not like I want you to read my signature... Baka!

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
Re: Gameplay Heavy Visual Novels
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:28:30 am »
They aren't visual novels, but I strongly recommend Portal and Portal 2. :D

Offline shawurai

• Tsundere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »
Not sure how much gameplay you're used to but I had some great fun with Tokino Senka.

Once you're used to the easy system you'll clear the missions one by one. The key is usually getting a large force (army) oout to overpower the oponent making the item rewards almost useless. the fun in the game is trying to get you're characters at max level so you can clear the additional mission that came with the patches for bonus CG and H-scenes. You'll only be able to do this after replaying the game a few times (about 8 to 10 times iirc)

Other than that: Seinarukana.

Well gameplay is limited to switching character roles and skills when needed but it is fun to try and clear every mission with the max score (SS rank)
I'm busy replaying the game now that I have the Special Edition that was released not so long ago. This time I'm working on a detailed guide that lets you clear every mission on each difficulty with an SS rank. Progress is slow but I managed to work up the first 3 missions from chapter 2 (normal difficulty)
(lucky you get lots of save slots so you can reload when you mess up :) )

I shall speak neither hurtful nor harsh word, but shall speak respectfully, even of my enemies, for temperate words may turn aside anger.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:13:21 pm »
Well, Eien no Aselia, the prequel of Seinarukana, has a fair amount of gameplay, and it's all-around a fantastic VN, easily my favourite. I'm looking forward to the translation of Seinarukana, I want it in English to be able to fully enjoy it.

Other than that, I found Wizard's Climber pretty fun. It's pretty short but has a good replay value, even I played it through 3 times to see different endings, and I still intend to play it once more when I feel like it again, because the ending I really want requires several playthroughs. <.< I'm also planning to eventually check out Bunnyblack 1 and 2 by the same producer, Softhouse Chara, they sound like they'd be fun.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Aevumus

• Closet Otaku
  • ~Tsun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:30:18 am »
Thanks for the input! I'll look into what was recommended on VNDB, and if I happen to find anything else that looks like it has some engaging gameplay, I'll be sure to post it here in case anyone else is interested
I-It's not like I want you to read my signature... Baka!