Author Topic: Using your translation to translate again ?  (Read 6868 times)

Offline LamaRebelle

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Using your translation to translate again ?
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
Hi, guys from Doki !
I'm a french guy and I enjoy the work you did on Clanned. English is fine for me, but I know people who would enjoy the VN if it were in their mother language, french in my case.
So I'm looking for a way to translate some visual novel in french, using your work (I don't read japanease).
- Is it a problem if I use your english translation ? The Doki team will of course be credited.
- Unfortunalty, I have absolutly no idea of how you translate a visual novel. I mean, where are the texts ? How can I change the english words by french words ? Do I need another program ? I guess you have to be carefull so the text stays in the boxes if the sentence is too long etc...

Thank you guys, I hope I made this clear :)

Offline Delwack

• Closet Otaku
  • Doki Visual Novel Department
    • View Profile
Re: Using your translation to translate again ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »
Feel free to use our (or really right now, Baka-Tsuki's) translation for your own.  We've just inhereted the project and haven't worked on it a great deal as of yet.  The English translation for Clannad still needs quite a a bit of work, but if you are comfortable with it as is, feel free to use it.

As to what you need from a technical perspective, you'll need a set of tools called rldev in order to break the different resources in the game down into their component parts.  Our coder/compiler is out of pocket right now and so I can't provide hand over our toolset right at the moment.  There is a version publicly available, but I know many changes have been made to the toolset since it's last official release way back in 2006 (at least I think it was 2006).  I think for Clannad, that particular old toolset should still work.  You can find that toolset and it's documentation at http://dev.haeleth.net/rldev.shtml.  Be aware that it is woefully out of date and will certainly break on newer key games. 

Offline LamaRebelle

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Using your translation to translate again ?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35:30 pm »
Ok thank you ! I'll post on this topic if I get something to work (or not). I hope my work will be useful for the french VN community :)