Author Topic: which shows for 2011 did you enjoy the most?  (Read 10966 times)

mangos

which shows for 2011 did you enjoy the most?
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:46:53 am »
As the title says, which 2011 shows you enjoyed the most and why, I want to know because sometimes you miss stuff because sometimes you think that something is not worth to watch it and what if someone finds out an interesting anime here.

So, for me, the most memorable shows were three: Madoka Magica, Mawaru Penguindrum and Blood-C.

I loved Madoka Magica because the story was awesome, the witches' artwork was so unique and episode 10 was so well done, the people that created that episode made a whole story in 20 minutes so much better than a lot of today's 3 hour movies.

Mawaru Penguindrum was great because the story is full of twists, the penguins are really funny to watch, the artwork of the siblings' house is so beautiful, the music is incredible and the final episode was nothing but amazing, it didn't disappoint me.

Blood-C had really interesting fighting scenes, an awesome story and a sad but touching end and the character design was beautiful.

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
Favorite 2011 shows:
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »
Well, I've gone over why I like Ano Hana, Hanasaku Iroha and Usagi Drop in some detail next door in Enticing to Watch. To finish off my 2011 top five:

Chihayafuru started last season and continues on. It's a different setting - Karuta instead of Baseball - but it has a similar feel to Cross Game: The show doesn't bore you with trivia about the game, but only what you need to know for the plot to make sense. It does a great job of focusing on the characters and their stories. The artwork is great and it helps a little that Chihaya is incredibly cute.

Steins;Gate made my inner S.F. geek very happy. It had an excellent time travel/alternate universe plot and the characters were very well defined. It had a good balance between geekery, comedy and drama. Okarin's mad scientist persona was also hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:16:31 pm by Hanover Fist »

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
Re: which shows for 2011 did you enjoy the most?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:13 am »
Let's see... My anime watching is so unsystematic that I still haven't finished many of the 2011 shows, and some of those I'd probably present here had I watched enough. For example Usagi Drop. But, I do have a few.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko: Gorgeous character designs, brilliant dialogue, very likeable characters, weirdness that I actually like (I rarely like weirdness) and quite a lot of hidden depth. I still haven't finished it, I'm in the 7th ep, but so far it's been extremely enjoyable. Depending on how it ends, I expect to give it 4-5 stars out of 5.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai 2: The second season keeps the quality high and stays true to the original material. TWGOK is one of the very best manga, and although the best parts mostly come later, the first two seasons already contain some great arcs. TWGOK is a highly intelligent, psychologically and philosophically deep, funny manga with an epic-level protagonist, and the anime is - if possible - even better dramatised than the manga. 4½ stars.

UN-GO: One of the few 2011 series that I've completed. Ultimately it might not be in my top 5 of the year, but for now it's in the top 3. It's a classy, intelligent, plot-driven anime, a rare treat. I love the wide range of different moral codes in this show, every character has their own. It's quite psychologically deep and has overall great characters, and of course delicious murder mysteries. 4 stars.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline mrclosedeyes

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here! Say Sky, but don't reply Hi :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:30:48 am »
Ano Hana - Loved this shows because it made me remember my childhood, and it was sad to see how losing a friend at a young age can change you (Though that never happened to me).

Blue Exorcist - I liked the setting and the storyline, with action plus with the little comedy it had, it was a good show to watch for a while. I liked how his brother also had demon powers in the end of the show, and the back story, on how those twins came to be.

Usagi Drop - Just made me realize life is a long way ahead, and that seeing how Daichi (don't know how to spell his name), found a reason to live and work for got me thinking. But basically i liked the story and such. Hope i get to see the season 2 of this, it was quite interesting to watch.

Mayo Chiki - Just liked how the characters were made. It was quite a interesting story of a guy who gets a nosebleed just by contact with any girl. P It was also funny to boot. I wouldn't mind watching a season 2 if it ever had one.

Hanasaku Iroha - I enjoyed this anime as well, as i admired the girls determination and stubborness. Especially how she proves to everyone, that despite being from the city, she can still work as hard as they do.

Bakuman 2 - Got addicted to season 1, so here i am. I just liked how it shows the life of a teenage kid trying to be a manga artist. I guess i still continued watching it because it showed how hard a life of a manga artist is.

Guilty Crown - *No words can express what i truly feel. Just love the OP, ED, storyline, characters, theme, etc..... :)
It might not the best, but i seriously enjoyed watching this anime.

Mirai Nikki - scary, blood, kinda of mystery, weird characters, but a interesting plot line i can't resist. :P

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - Again, i liked the anime because it deals with friendship, though to me it wasn't really interesting until the guy had flashbacks of his childhood friend, who happened to be right next to him. ^^

Steins Gate - Couldn't get it the first time, so i re-watched it again. The plot was interesting, making me continue watching the series for the entire day. The storyline really hooked my interest. Time travel, assasins, evil organizations, paradox, a weird guy saying "kangoroo"
I would give this a 9/10,just for making me forget to eat lunch while watching it for a day. :P

These are the anime series that are still clear in my memory that i enjoyed very much. :)

0.......>-_-<.......0
->Best Sig Evr!<-

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »
My own personal bests of 2011 include Madoka for its completely awesome awesomeness - first eps and the OP were at least confusing.
The second series in the list would be Hanasaku Iroha. I had both series stalled, and after I came back, I came to regret it.
Third would be Yuru Yuri - for being yuri (and good yuri) and having lolis. That's pretty much it for me.

As for the others, I also liked AnoHana, but the story could have been a bit better. Mayo Chiki was also pleasant to watch, one of better series of this year. Denpa Onna had some good moments and some less good, but overall it was pretty good.
That's probably it for me. I have watched quite a lot in 2011, and most of it was already after airing, so 'current' series didn't get too many chances to stand out.

Offline Nymphetamine2791

• Tsundere
  • Aka Nymph The Hopeless Romantic
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »
I liked Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! because it followed up with one of my favorite comedies (although I liked the first season more). Plus it helped explain some unanswered questions from the prequels and refined character development. I also liked Ano Hana because it was a tearjerking story, but I really wish the series was longer and more developed :(

"There isn't a single guy who doesn't want to spoil his girl."
--Amagami SS

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Popularly known as Piddles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:47:16 am »
Ano Hana: Unique is hard to come by in a society full of stereotypes. Luckily, creativity continues to exist in the world and the animators at A-1 Pictures have delivered whole heatedly. With a full cast of unique and memorable characters to the beautifully drawn world of it's inhabitants, 'We Still Don't Know The Name Of The Flower We Saw That Day' stands as the most memorable series from 2011.

No. 6: The unsettling world of No.6 quickly became one of my favorites. A near barren future world, a happily oppressed people; am I the only one who suddenly thinks of Huxley? Books from the 1930's aside, No. 6 scraped it's way into my heart by doing love right. Not a constant 11 episodes of one character pining for the other, but a slow build towards an exciting and warm climax that stands as the most fulfilling of 2011.

Usagi Drop: A story of a sudden father and a hopeful orphan, Usagi Drop jumped right into my very own heart. It focused on the work and the fun, the excruciating and the joy, a dull moment never passed in this near perfect animation of the original manga. But what stands out, for me, is the watercolor like animation that flowed across the screen. No flashes like those from the overplayed shounen animes, but soft colors that blended and moved in perfect sync. I'll remember the inspiring artwork of Usagi Drop for years to come.

And yes, I think that Usagi Drop had better animation than Guilty Crown. (BUT HOT DAMN THAT GUILTY CROWN.)
I didn't like all those pics in my sig...

www.fark.com

Offline Khorne11

• Closet Otaku
  • Visual Novels and anime= my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:08 am »
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? it was priceless and definitely one of my favorites, the characters are awesome and its hilarious.  It has some sad moments but mostly its just fun, I'm not a really big action anime fan but like High School of the Dead, this is a definite exception, and the OVA pwned, I cannot wait for Kore was Zombie Desuk ka? of the dead (the second season)
The doggie says Woof Woof... That was the wild boar, Moo Moo
-Mai Kawasumi