Author Topic: Video Games!  (Read 49378 times)

Offline Espionage724

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:40 am »
The general discussion seemed lacking... Lol

So how bout some of those fun video games everyone loves to play? I guess this would be a broad topic then, anything from Mario to COD to Minecraft to Final Fantasy. Every platform, every genre.

CoD isn't a game... THIS however is a game :p

As for some games I play, I play osu!, Warcraft III and SC2, Global Agenda, Hellgate: Global

Offline AzureHakua

• Half-Ghost Seeking Death
  • Cosplayer
  • Kore de ii?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:02 pm »
It's interesting how many people hate CoD in this forum lol. I'm pretty neutral towards it, but man, lol.

Offline InfinityStream

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Popularly known as Piddles
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 12:54:10 am »
CoD is for wimps.

Real men play games that make you shed tears of manliness...

Anyway, the best shooter I've played is Valkyria Chronicles. It' s so perfect...
I didn't like all those pics in my sig...

www.fark.com

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 07:05:24 am »
In the last few days I've gotten myself involved in Funcom's The Secret World community forums... Looks like it's going to be the best MMO community ever, since it appears the game's actually going to be somewhat intelligent, and idiots don't like intelligent games for obvious reasons. I've seen very little trolling and other kinds of retarded behaviour.

Man, I'm looking forward to that game. I love the concept, a modern-day dark fantasy world (our world) where three secret societies fight both a rising tide of darkness and each other. Every myth, every folktale, every conspiracy is real. Quests where you investigate conspiracies, even search clues in the Internet (and I don't mean walkthroughs). No classes, no levels, no armors: you choose from among well over 500 skills and you can switch builds easily, and you can customize your looks however you want, because clothes don't give any bonuses. Judging from the cinematic trailers, these people really know how to create a cool mood.

I might even try the PvP - which I don't usually care for - because you're limited to 14 skills at once, only 7 of them being active (the others are passive): it means I don't need to learn to use 20 different hotkeys effectively to be any good on the battlefield.

Sure, I'm also looking forward to GW2 and SWTOR, they seem like really good MMO's, but the TSW concept is so much more interesting.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Espionage724

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:34 am »
It's interesting how many people hate CoD in this forum lol. I'm pretty neutral towards it, but man, lol.

It's not that I particularly "hate" CoD, I just think it's heavily overrated lol

Also, for another good game, check out Vindictus. It's a F2P MMORPG Hack N Slash game. I heard recently however, it can only be played in NA (however, you might be able to tunnel or proxy your way past that, idk). An EU version is in the works, and was presented at gamescon 2011 though

Offline Shiro

• Living Weapon
  • C-Box Member
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 11:29:20 am »
So, any new gamers out there? Specifically, PS3 gamers?

This topic is dead and it's making me sad. (click)

Offline Nymphetamine2791

• Tsundere
  • Aka Nymph The Hopeless Romantic
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
I used to play a PS3 when I was living att my old apartment, but as I got more into my major and also moved out I haven't played anything since God of War 3. Prototype 2 and Darksiders 2 both look cool to me though, but I'm probably not going to get to play them nor will I buy them, lol.

"There isn't a single guy who doesn't want to spoil his girl."
--Amagami SS

Offline AnimeIndex22

• Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »
Street Fighter third Strike-IV- (SSFIV:AE) SFxTK

Persona 4 Arena

Gears of war 3

Pokemon Black/White: Yes

Final Fantasy XIII/2

Arcana Heart (1) Arcana Heart 3

I want to play Resident Evil 6 so bad!

Also i like fighting games.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 06:30:39 am »
Occasionally I'm glad I once spent a huge sum of money on LotRO lifetime. Now I'm a permanent VIP, I get enough points every month to get the expansions and a more, no need to spend a single euro on that game for the rest of its lifespan.

Occasionally. Well, the game is full of grinding and trivial quests, but occasionally I get back into it for a while and it's good fun. Luckily I have a few friends to play it with, even if many have quit a long time ago. Even solo it's fun to explore new areas once in a while.

Well, long story short, I'm currently spending most of my time playing LotRO, wasting my last weeks before studying begins. Looking forward to the Rohan expansion, Rohan is my favourite place in Middle-earth.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »
I just finished Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete. A good game, a very good game. Not quite as enjoyable plot-wise or gameplay-wise as FF IX or the first two Suikodens, but it has something that the Suikodens unfortunately do not: a romance. Actually three of them. The fact that the plot is romance-centered is one of the reasons why I picked it up in the first place. I got what I sought for, more or less: teared up in a few scenes, almost cried in the end. There are many nice animations in the game, anime style, and some scenes are voiced, which adds to the mood even if I'm not entirely happy with some of the VA's. The opening video and one of the animated scenes in the middle have very nice songs. Also, they went through quite a bit of trouble writing dialogue for random townspeople, the things they say change many times over the course of the story and it's always as fun to go around talking to normal people, to see what they say, or what kind of party member dialogue it may trigger. The central characters are a funny bunch, not as deep as FF characters tend to be, but likeable, I did get attached to them.

I wish there was a sequel, I'd love to see more of these characters... of course, there is a Lunar 2, but it takes place a thousand years later, apparently only one or two characters are still alive to make cameos. <.<
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:57:46 am by Krozam »

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:05 am »
Next on my list was Thousand Arms. It was a good game, too, though not quite as good as Lunar. The story is even more straightforward, but the gameplay is fun, maybe more fun than in Lunar. The concept is just brilliant, a cross of a traditional JRPG and a dating sim. XD The characters are fun, but despite the focus on character interaction and much better voice acting (there's a lot of that, even compared to Lunar), I for some reason didn't get as attached to them as I got to the Lunar characters. That is, with the exception of the main character, whose personality is much, much more colourful than that of the protagonist of Lunar, who doesn't even speak often. There are not that many videos, but many conversations, especially on dates, are "zoomed" and animated, which is very nice. The comedy was pretty good most of the time, though some of the "funny" characters mainly annoyed me. Musics are... ok, except the opening song, which is one of Ayumi Hamasaki's best songs.

It could have been one of the best games I've ever played, the concept certainly had potential for it. However, I had three problems with the game: First of all, the plot was much too straightforward and predictable, even Lunar did better. Secondly, the characters, as diverse and quirky as their personalities are, lack depth. Thirdly, while the gameplay is a lot of fun, it was much too easy to overlevel, which caused the game to get too easy well before the halfway point. The first two points together ensured that I didn't invest much emotion into it, even though I almost teared up at the end.

Other than that, it was well worth playing, and I might consider playing again after a few years. Next time maybe try to avoid overleveling and switch the characters in my battle team more often.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »
Just played through Jade Empire. A good game. Fun battles, interesting settings based on the ancient China and a good, epic story.

Not half-bad characters either, they're all interesting, not just those that you can romance (three of them, one for male characters, one for females, and one romanceable to both genders). You can romance both at once, BTW, if you go the indecisive route and pass a couple of easy skill checks. The triangle mysteriously disappears in the ending texts, though: you marry one and the relationship isn't mentioned at all in the other character's ending text. Anyway, too bad you can only take one character with you to the battle, it'd be more interesting with a group of 4, for example.

The story is epic, it concerns gods and emperors (you end up killing most of them, one way or another). The plot's not terribly unpredictable, but it's twisty enough to give you a pleasant ride. A satisfying story with a satisfying conclusion. Of course, I played the good guy, and I don't think I'll be re-playing any time soon, so I don't know how much changes if you play a Closed Fist character.

The world is based on our own: though names are different and there are a lot of fantasy elements, the culture and history of the Jade Empire are obviously based on China, and there is even a character who comes from a place clearly based on Europe. A very interesting world.

The character development system is okay: there are only three stats to upgrade, but at least there's a good selection of different fighting styles to upgrade as well. The battle system, however, is very good IMO. It's a lot of fun, fairly pleasing to the eye, and you can have a lot of variety by using different styles. Fists, weapons, magic, transformation, multiple styles in each. It'd be more fun with a group, probably, but at least there's one companion, and it's a lot of fun this way, too.

I kind of wish it was longer, or there was a sequel. The replay value isn't that great, at least I don't really feel like playing it again even though I enjoyed it so much. It's not exactly short, but I feel like it should have been longer. I kind of want to try a different character personality, romance only one character, stuff like that, but the thought of going over the story again so soon makes me give up the idea. There are not enough things to do differently, at least not without going Closed Fist (which is almost the same as evil).

Anyway, a good game, I enjoyed it a lot.

Offline AnimeIndex22

• Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 03:10:17 am »
So.....been playing Far Cry 3 and its really good! So far its like a first person GTA game but the game's coop is nice. I haven't beat it yet but i'm really enjoying it so far!  :mavis: I recommend this game for those looking for an adventure game.