Discussion Forums > Visual Novels

VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better

(1/5) > >>

Dys:
Same basis as the manga version of the topic.

More recently the trend in anime has been toward making anime versions of visual novels.

There are some classic and universally lauded examples such as many of the works by Key/Kyoto Animation.

There are also some examples of great failures, such as the MADHOUSE adaption of the Nitro+ VN, ChäoS;HEAd.

Of course, visual novels DO include the subgenre of eroge. Two out of three KyoAni Key adaptions were originally eroge. There have been a number of eroge adaptions too.

What are your thoughts on the subject? What are other examples of visual novels that received animated versions? Is it a blasphemous act to even try to adapt eroge/VN's?

AzureHakua:
I think some VNs are adapted really well, some really suck though lol.

One of my favorite VNs is Umineko, and I absolutely love it. The anime sort of sucks in comparison in my opinion. Sure, there are people who like it without ever playing the VN, but I honestly feel that the VN was exponentially better, and I can understand why Umineko (The anime) has tons of haters. Although... I don't really appreciate people who compare Higurashi and Umineko as I feel they are separate independent stories.

Krozam:
Personally I love the Umineko anime, but I'm still getting started with the VN's. The terrible art is killing my motivation, since the anime has such superb art. I still intend to read the VN's some day, don't worry.

My major complaint is about the Fortune Arterial anime. It's watchable, I think I rated it 2.5/5, but compared to the fantastic VN it's quite poor. I enjoyed the VN a helluva lot more even though I had to use translators to read it. One route could have been fit into 12 eps by a good director, but they included a lot of stuff from various routes, so I think it should've been 24 eps. Even then I don't think this director could've pulled it off well enough to be worthy of the original material, but I'm sure it would've been much better than now.

TheThing:
One word: Tsukihime.

Another thing to note, the Shuffle anime had, in my opinion, really bad art style and graphics. But I still hold it high in regards because it explored and explained many things the VN didn't, like the main character past as well as portraying it accurately (in my opinion).

The Visual Novel was great, but the anime too had it's moments and even some of the jokes were better animated and more portrayed.

Haxton Fale:

--- Quote from: TheThing on August 16, 2011, 02:51:21 pm ---One word: Tsukihime.
--- End quote ---
Even though it's a week old post, I have to agree. I have yet to see a worse adaptation than Shingetsutan Tsukihime, which might count as the most wasted 240 minutes of my life. But hey, Carnival Phantasm is out!

And there's also Clannad. I'm currently midway through Nagisa route (still in School Life) but as far as I'm concerned all the other ones were adapted really well. It's also great they made Tomoyo and Kyou chapters as both of them had great stories in their routes.

BTW, why there's nothing about manga adaptations? Shingetsutan Tsukihime manga was actually great and got an incredible last chapter making True End into Good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version