Author Topic: That's quite talented...  (Read 8912 times)

Offline AzureHakua

• Half-Ghost Seeking Death
  • Cosplayer
  • Kore de ii?
    • View Profile
That's quite talented...
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »
Although this might be more of a general discussion, it's more fitting here... I think.

So, everyone loves listening to music... But are you, yes you, talented yourself? Play an instrument? Do share and perhaps music attachments of your works?

I play the piano myself, and hope to share my work with you guys in the future.

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
Re: That's quite talented...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »
I don't claim much talent, but I have made my own instruments and learned or composed a handful of songs on them.

There's a rather new instrument called the Hang that's like an inside out steel drum one can play with their hands. It sounds amazing but is very expensive and difficult to get a hold of without a trip to Bern, Swizerland.

The instruments I made are called Hank Drums, invented by a talented guy named Dennis Havlena as a low cost DiY imitation of the Hang: Take a new and empty propane tank, follow the pattern on Mr. Havlena's website and cut eight U-shaped tabs of different size. Get them tuned in and you have a fun instrument that sounds kinda like the Hang.

Here's what I have recorded on my Hank drums:
Funeral March of a Marionette AKA the Alfred Hitchcock theme song
Sunset Hank - time lapse clouds video with Hank drum audio
Hank Drone - a little song fragment
Metamorphosis - my most ambitious song
Last Words - a little sad thing I put together when I heard Satoshi Kon passed away

I've made a few other assorted music videos too, but that's drifting from the topic.