Author Topic: Nostalgic Anime  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
Nostalgic Anime
« on: August 13, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »
I just listened to the Kaitou Saint Tail ED and looked at some pictures of the anime, and I actually teared up. I guess it's one of the very few anime that could do it to me, being practically the only anime series that really made me cry my eyes out. The ED being very beautiful of course helped. Still, it hasn't been even half a year since I watched it (for the first and thus far only time), and yet there's such a powerful nostalgia... that's remarkable.

It occured to me that it'd be a worthy subject of discussion. Nostalgia, that is. Tell me, what anime do you find nostalgic, and why? What kind of a poweful impression did it leave on you to give it nostalgia value? Does it make a mediocre anime awesome for you, just because it was awesome when you watched it as a child? Does music play a significant role in it, as it sometimes does for me? Does simply hearing the OP or ED sometimes take you to the brink of tears?

I could write more, but right now I'm dead tired. I'll continue with my other nostalgic anime experiences tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:10:11 pm by Krozam »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Endosanity

• Closet Otaku
  • Oh no! I'm all out of powdered toast!
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic Anime
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:32:07 am »
No replies yet? I love nostalgic anime. So, here's just a couple of mine:

Outlanders (1986): This is it, the one show that got me hooked on anime. Way back in... a long time ago, I rented the original Dark Horse release on VHS thinking "Hey, what kind of cartoon is this?" Yes, I know... don't hurt me. Anyway I started it up and I was presented with a story about an alien race that has come to destroy Earth led by the scantily metallic bikini-clad babe Princess Kahm. However, she ends up falling in love with a human dork (Yeah, yeah, it all sounds familiar but we're talkin' 1986 here people!) and she agrees to call off the attack if he marries her. Princess Kahm will always remain the original tsundere for me.

This was f'ing awesome. Then I found out that this show was based off a magna... whoops, I mean manga, so I tracked it down and read the entire series but I'm still sad that this great series only got one freakin' 48 minute OVA. It could have been so much more.

Here's a little fast fact. Dark Horse (who released the manga in the US) did the original VHS release in like '92. It was only a dub but it was good... damn good. Then Central Park Media re-released it on DVD and "re-dubbed" it which totally sucked but at least they included subs. But now, it's totally out of print and CPM is out of business.

Fight!! Iczer 1 (1985-1987), Iczer Reborn (1990-1991), Iczelion (1994): Another great series. It was only a bunch of OVA releases that were done years apart but when watched together they tell a great sci-fi tale that has more depth than most long running series. Not enough to convince you? It's got good looking gals, plenty of action, grotesque monsters, mecha, some yuri, and... wait for it... a loli. Yeah, now you're interested aren't you? Track them all down and watch them. One of the few shows that I go back and watch from time to time.

Offline Khorne11

• Closet Otaku
  • Visual Novels and anime= my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:33 pm »
Whenever I hear Dango Daikazoku on my I-pod I tear up CLANNAD FOREVEEEER

-K11
The doggie says Woof Woof... That was the wild boar, Moo Moo
-Mai Kawasumi

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »
Cowboy Bebop is very nostalgic for me, and yes the music plays a large part. Bebop was the first anime series that I sought out as an adult a decade ago (looking for highly rated DVDs to explore this new-to-me genre). I think it was some good luck as well as good planning that it turned out to be such a damn fine show.

The series and movie OSTs are also amazing. I have songs from the soundtracks scattered across many mix CDs made for myself and others. The show is also a part of nearly every anime infliction I do (especially when I upgrade HDs and give out the hand-me-downs).

Star Blazers was the first anime series I saw, but after ~30 years it's memory is faded and blurry. I have it ready to watch again, but I've been hesitant (and busy with other shows) for nearly a year, wondering if it will be better or much worse than the memory.

Finally, yeah - when I hear that particular mix of the Dango Daikazoku song, it hits me hard as well. Clannad evokes the strongest feelings in just a few notes for me.