Author Topic: Hi10P ... how to stream your favorite anime now??  (Read 22744 times)

Offline loomy

• Evil Bunny
  • Doki Staff
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
    • My Anime List
Hi10P ... how to stream your favorite anime now??
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »
Hi all!

I just got myself a new shinny tv and now wanted to stream my anime to it. But the allshare software from samsung is ... crap. It doesn't support mkv-files at all (only a workaround with renaming the files to avi works O_o Still it doesn't show any subtitles ...).

So i tried out the PS3 Media Server. With a separate conf-file it played the mkv without any problems (no need to rename the files here xD) ... still there aren't shown any subtitles.

If anybody of you already figured out a solution for this problem (maybe using a different programm or setting) please let me know. I would be very thankful :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I dont want to reencode them to get hardsubs ... i just want to playback the mkv files ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:38:28 pm by loomy »

Offline AzureHakua

• Half-Ghost Seeking Death
  • Cosplayer
  • Kore de ii?
    • View Profile
Re: DLMA ... how to stream your favorite anime?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:40:03 pm »
You could always hook it up to your computer. That's what I do. It saves the effort of getting anything special, and you get good quality.

Offline Clannad Man

• 'Key' Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
  • Cosplayer
  • Current Project: Complete Key Music Collection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 04:18:12 pm »
Hey loomy.  Welcome to the forums!

I had a problem streaming MKV files to my TV as well.  In my case, I didn't have a PS3 or allshare software, so my methods might be different from what you have... Perhaps my methods may prove to be a useful alternative for you.

I wanted to stream MKVs through my Xbox 360, so I got a Windows based computer with Windows Media Center installed.  Then I installed the CCCP codec pack http://cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp, the SHARK codec pack http://shark007.net/ (just select the appropriate one for your OS, followed by the 64x add on if running Win Vista or 7 x64 bit edition), and the DIVX codec pack http://www.divx.com/downloads/divx, in this order.  Then restart the system and connect your Xbox to Windows Media Center, and you should be able to play MKV files, though getting subtitles to work was a crapshoot.

I found this method to be a bit of a pain, and the streaming itself wasn't great for files over 1GB, so I purchased a Western Digital Media Center http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320.This was an excellent purchase for me, as it plays MKV files of any size without difficulty.  You can also enable language settings and toggle subtitles with ease.  It even streams directly from Hulu, Youtube, Facebook, Netflix, Blockbuster, and Pandora if you enable those options.  This does cost some money (my media center was $125), but I'd say it was worth every penny.  Using the media center instead of inserting BD or DVDs each time is real nice!
I make a point of trying to improve myself each day so I'll be better prepared to take on the next.  It feels good!

Offline skryer

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:57 pm »
I found this method to be a bit of a pain, and the streaming itself wasn't great for files over 1GB, so I purchased a Western Digital Media Center http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320.This was an excellent purchase for me, as it plays MKV files of any size without difficulty.  You can also enable language settings and toggle subtitles with ease.  It even streams directly from Hulu, Youtube, Facebook, Netflix, Blockbuster, and Pandora if you enable those options.  This does cost some money (my media center was $125), but I'd say it was worth every penny.  Using the media center instead of inserting BD or DVDs each time is real nice!

I was actually looking between the Roku XDS and the WD TV Live Plus for playback, but if the WD plays .mkv files w/subtitles then i think i know which one ill be picking. (plus its on sale right now for 89$ and amazon prime eligible as well!)

Offline loomy

• Evil Bunny
  • Doki Staff
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
    • My Anime List
Hi10P ... how to stream your favorite anime now??
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »
okay, now that it seems that all subgroups (and specially doki, although i still think that it's too early for it <.< ...) are changing to Hi10P partially i am wondering if anybody already heared about a multimedia bridge that is able to stream or at least playback it

i didn't find anything yet and just hope that after some time firmware updates will fix that issue ...

i thought about getting myself a shiny mini-pc that can play full hd, has a hdmi port and some nice sound outs ... it should be 400€ max ... like that codec problems or anything similar should never be a problem again :p

what do you think about it? do you have any other ideas or know a place where i could order a ready-to-go setup (mini-pcs are pretty nasty to build together ;) )

Offline AzureHakua

• Half-Ghost Seeking Death
  • Cosplayer
  • Kore de ii?
    • View Profile
Re: Hi10P ... how to stream your favorite anime now??
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 05:21:45 am »
I'm not sure what you're exactly asking, but the latest version of CCCP can play Hi10. Most people have CCCP, so that should be the easiest way.

You can also hook up MPC with madVR. There's a bunch of tutorials around, just check out a few fansites that have Hi10 already release.

Offline loomy

• Evil Bunny
  • Doki Staff
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
    • My Anime List
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:14 am »
sry, maybe i wasn't that clear with my post^^'

i was talking about multimedia bridges that you can plug onto your pc and then either stream videos from your pc or playback videos by plugging an external hdd onto them (e.g. this is the one i have: http://www.emtec-international.com/en-eu/movie_cube_n200 )

but it doesn't support Hi10P yet ... that's why i am thinking about replacing it with a mini-pc that i can configure to my own likes. updating codecs also shouldn't be a problem anymore like that

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:41:05 am »
That's true, but don't you have any way to just plug your TV to PC through DVI-HDMI cable?

Offline loomy

• Evil Bunny
  • Doki Staff
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
    • My Anime List
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:39 am »
i also already thought about that ... just pc <-> tv are 15 meters ... and it would result in 50 to 100€ to buy such a long hdmi cable here <.< ... and then i still had to find a way to bring the sound from pc to tv ... which leads to even more funds to be paid for an audio cable ...

so i thought to myself "pay a bit more and therefore have a better solution with more possibilities" ... for now i will w8 a bit and see if a firmware update for my emtec will solve this issue (would save me alot of money <.< ...)

i just wanted to know what other ppl think about it or if some of you have already such a system ;)

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:10:24 am »
and then i still had to find a way to bring the sound from pc to tv
Actually, no, since some video cards can transmit sound through DVI-HDMI cables. I was actually a bit surprised when I found out that my TV is available as a sound device. But still, 15 meters is quite a lot for AV signal, so one of these fancy mini-PCs will be a good idea.
Did you consider putting one together? I know it won't look as good as these stylish little ones, but you might be able to save some money by buying mini-ATX mobo, some HDD, a little-better-than-average processor, a moderate amount of RAM and keyboard and mouse which you'd probably have to buy anyway. Although you may also need a graphics card, since I don't know how capable are these integrated ones.

Offline Espionage724

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:17 am »
Not sure if this would be helpful (or work) but what about TVersity?

Offline loomy

• Evil Bunny
  • Doki Staff
  • Closet Otaku
    • View Profile
    • My Anime List
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12:17 am »
the problem is that most of those programms dont have a good subtitle support ... do you have any experiences with it? does it stream your anime well?

i have a tv supporting DLMA, so that would be the best option :P

@haxton: wow, i didn't know that they can also stream the sound over graphic cards :o

anyway, if i were putting that media server there wouldn't be a good graphic card needed ... the most important thing is to have at least a dual core to be able to play HD videos ... so if i get a quad core or something similar i should be fine^^

Offline Espionage724

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:21:59 am »
I do see what you mean about lack of subtitle support :/

Only thing that came close was my Xbox 360 + Flash Drive (iirc, Lucky Star displayed subtitles).