Author Topic: Yuri Corner  (Read 12189 times)

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
Yuri Corner
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:31:10 pm »
Once in a while I find some great (sometimes, almost never, some not-so-great) yuri. Rarely anime, mostly manga and VNs. I hope you don't mind if I share some (or most) of them here and ask you to do the same.

A few words for the opening: I rather go for sweet than hot. H-scenes are just a mere addition, I read these just for the plot, and that includes SonoHana (while I admit that ero-scenes sometimes help in development, just like in Katahane).

Let's then start with...
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo series

There are two titles recognized as a pinnacle of yuri - one of them is Strawberry Panic (with which I'll wait until I get my novels) and the other is Sono Hanabira. 10 eroge featuring 5 couples, one non-H spinoff (Hanahira!), a bunch of short novels, some drama CDs, an OVA and an ONA series... and another spin-off, named Xenocross: The Music Box of Memories.

Each of these short VNs tells a story of two girls connected through St. Michael's School for Girls, St. Michael's or Mikajo for short. Each pair is different than the others, and their views on the relationship with their lovers differ as well. Yuuna is pretty perverted despite her appearance and position in school, and she holds not-so-innocent after all Nanami dear. Sara looks up to Kaede, who was protecting her in the past, and views her as her prince (hence the title of the second game, Watashi no Oujiko-sama - ouji (usually with -sama suffix) can be translated as prince, with -ko part usually meaning a female version). Reo is a tsundere, so you can't expect a honest opinion from her, even during intercourses, but the fifth game shows how much she thinks about Mai and tries her best not to be a burden to her (which, in fact, isn't easy for her). Runa tries to help Takako as much as she can, but her personality and young age (she's only 12) cause a misunderstanding and put Takako in somewhat uncomfortable position.

For some people the story might seem a bit rushed - it doesn't take long for one to confess to another, and usually every event ends with an encounter. Well, that's this kind of game, unfortunately. However, after the beginning the story has a nice pace and remains a pleasure to read. That includes H-scenes, a bit different than most of hentai yuri content. Except for a bath scene in first novel, there are no signs of any hardcore material or fetishes. The best thing about these scenes is how they are erotic, but at the same time pure and full of love. Mikajo's environment is very supportive to our couples, and has been for years. Fellow students squee whenever they see a sign of affection, such as kisses, acts of chivalry, kisses, holding hands and kisses. They even started adding -sama to Mai and Reo's names. Did I mention how they love to see other girls kissing?

The art is really pretty, and that includes both regular looks and chibi versions. Backgrounds look great and are detailed, not distinct from characters' sprites. The only bad thing I can say about the looks is the lack of side characters (well, SH7 shows two nameless girls, completely under Runa's charm), but it's nothing that would change my opinion too much.

As for sounds, they're great too. Apart from faultless in my opinion voices and sounds, the music is really catchy, as it's light, sweet and reminds of SonoHana when I'm listening to it. If I were to choose my favourite piece, it'd probably be With a Light Feeling, but As Always and On a Good Day come close to that.

I should probably say something about animu versions, showing Mai and Reo relationship. There's OVA, bearing the same title as the third game (Anata to Koibito Tsunagi), showing an intercourse in the infirmary (one might wonder whether this school has actually hired a nurse, as she's never around, but that might be because of Yuuna's meddling), and after that Mai's visit in sick Reo's house. Even though the latter part didn't happen in VNs, at least this way - Mai got sick, not from having some Reo, and our little tsundere was the one to visit, Reo's confession was adapted pretty faithfully. Despite irrelevant differences, such as Mai's room layout or the school building's view (different than both the original SH3 and the remake), this OVA successfully conveys the series' mood.

There's also ONA series, Reo x Mai Diaries, where the girls are living their lives as lovers and Reo decides to buy a cellphone. She's stubborn and arrogant, so it's not an easy task. We also get to see Yuuna's influence, when they heard that some girls in Mikajo's uniform demanded to be sold the Lover's Plan.

What do you think about SonoHana? Did you like it? Do you disagree with me? Or maybe you can say something about a decent yuri? Feel free to share your opinion.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:34:10 pm by Haxton Fale »

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Yuri Corner
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:33:41 am »
First off, please learn to use the enter key. It can save lives. Second, I only watch anime so everything I post is anime. And now, back on topic.

El Cazador de la Bruja has somewhat of a yuri relationship in it. Despite being nothing serious, it was nice and sweet (and the girl was sugoku kawaii). Also, the soundtrack in this show is just on a completely different scale than anything I've seen in a long time.

Candy Boy was also a really sweet story and show (despite the name, no males are ever seen in the anime itself). Might be more classified as incest but I digress.

Kannaduki no Miko/Kannazuki no Miko is a weird anime, but the feelings portrayed in it are pretty realistic. The relationship and the choices she/they make always have some reason behind it really makes it all worth the watch.

Kasimasi is a weird but entertaining show (somewhat). Again, it has a lot of yuri drama and despite the premise, I liked it. Also, I prefer the real ending in the OVA. :)

Kiddy Girl-and is just wow. While not classified as Yuri, it has a really sweet relationship between the girls as they each fight to protect one another. Even the love they portray to one another is beautifully visualized and yet not forced in any way. Also, the little girl is just sooooooo cute  ^-^

Mahou Sensei Negima also has a yuri relationship in it between 2 of the girls. A short side story that is beautifully told and was entertaining to watch.

Mnemosyne is epic. Not for the faint of heart, this show is both brutal and unforgiving. Also portrays some of the difficulties with being immortal and female which makes relationship with men really hard. Yet somehow, as the story unfolds, one cannot run away from it. Beautifull story with epic twists and turns (and brutal).

Sora no Woto is a show I liked from the beginning to end. It's not classified as being Yuri but the feelings the girls portray to one another is pretty realistic (in a digital world) and beautifull. The setting is pretty as well as the backgrounds and the story. It annoys me when people compare it to K-On as I find them to be on a completely separate realm of their own.

They are my noble Master is a weird anime and has some Yuri in it (or incest, depends on how you look at it). Also funny and interesting to watch. The ending however was lacking to say the least.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:55:06 am by TheThing »
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.
Owner & Project leader for NFP Encodings & ForPitch.
Making lolis cry since 2011

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
Re: Yuri Corner
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:24:35 pm »
First off, please learn to use the enter key. It can save lives.
Your point being...? I did separate the paragraphs and I'm not sure what do you mean by using the enter key.

As for yuri elements, there are numerous series that have either allusions, pairs or single characters, even as the main cast (supposedly), but there's nothing else - even though numerous yuri mangaka dig it a lot (thank you, Fujieda-sensei, for Houkago Tea Time once again!). We have K-ON!'s Mugi observations about Mio and Ritsu, there's Akikan!'s Yurika and Ben-to's Shiraume. And while shows themselves might not be disappointing (I watched Nanoha with A's and StrikerS just to see her and Fate bringing up a daughter, and while there aren't much lilies there, I don't regret it), they're not noteworthy of their yuriness. It's one of the reasons I decided to omit animu in general, and the other one is that they're mostly well-known. Of course, there are some exceptions, such as Kanamemo (where the manga has 'yuri' tag for a reason and the anime didn't get one, while it should). Oh, and animu versions usually tone the yuriness down a bit.
Apart from that, I've been hearing about El Cazador... for a while, but it might take another one till I get to watch it. Candy Boy's really worth watching, even though they even don't get further than a kiss on a cheek. Describing Kannazuki no Miko as 'weird' is a good idea - it combines mecha (lame pun intended) and yuri. I'd recommend manga though, and it's not too long. As for Kashimashi, I've started watching it some time ago and stopped for no apparent reason, probably because I wasn't too much into yuri back then. I'll go back after reading the manga.
And one more thing about exceptions from avoiding animu: in a few days I might post something about Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, where yuriness is nice, but...