Author Topic: How to download via XDCC + additional setup  (Read 21361 times)

Offline Acnologia

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
How to download via XDCC + additional setup
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:27 am »
Now that direct downloads are all pretty much dead and gone, many people will have problems getting their daily fix of anime. Sure, you can torrent, but not every can/wants to for there own reasons. Well, I've made this guide for ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶-̶p̶e̶n̶i̶s̶ you. Ixlone made a pretty straight-forward post on how to setup mIRC to properly use XDCC, so I'm going steal his guide for the setup....

Note: Even though mIRC says it has a 30-day trial, you can still use it without paying. It will just ask for money and sometimes open the mIRC homepage in your browser.

ixolone's guide: (READ THIS TO LEARN HOW TO DOWNLOAD YOUR CHINESE CARTOONS!)
(click to show/hide)

This alone should get you set-up just fine, but here are some supplemental lessons to IRC that you might like to know.

Tweaks & Other Useful(less) Stuff
(click to show/hide)

Downloading anime outside of Doki
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:40:06 am by Acnologia »

Offline convert

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: How to download via XDCC, Doki and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:54 pm »
Acnologia, I made an account just so I could suggest some improvements to you. I-It's not like I wanted to contribute to the mIRC tutorial; I just had too much free time! And you were just so incompetent! Yeah! That's right, I had to help you out! Like a drowning kitty! You'd better be grateful!

The first step is that after adding channels to your "Favourites", you should also enable 'join on connect'. This allows you to open up all of your favourite channels upon start-up of your client! Automation is awesome.

The second is the registration of your nickname. It is important that you register your nickname and you can do so through '/nickserv help', and they'll run you through the rest of the tutorial. Basically, it's important to register your nickname because a) no one else can take your nickname, b) so you can join restricted access channels such as #news on rizon. You get AUTOMATICALLY BANNED on such channels, and idling on #news is a great way to pick up the scent on new anime releases.

Remember: once you register your nickname, you will have to sign in every single time you use mIRC, and the standard command to remember is this: '/ns identify <password>'. If you want to automate this command, then go to options>connect>options>perform and add the command '/ns identify <password>', and from now on, when you sign on, you will automatically be recognized.

Thirdly, if you're going to go through the trouble of registering your nickname, you might as well change your vhost too. You can find out the exact method of doing that by googling 'Rizon vhost'. Change it to 'icuminsidelolis1<3doki'. It's totally the new trend. Or don't. But changing your vhost allows you to put some extra flavour into your identity, while masking your IP at the same time. Protect yourself on IRC! You never know when you'll run into a wild Jigsy!

Fourthly, you may also group multiple nicknames, and while isn't necessary, is also a fun function. Just use the command '/nick <nickname>' to change your nickname into something scandalous, and use the command '/nick group <main nickname> <password>' in order to group your new, risque and possibly criminal nickname to your old nickname. Why group nicknames? It gives a little flair if you have special permissions assigned to your nickname (such as voice), but want to change your nickname because you want to try something new. Like an affair. The group command allows you to cheat on your significant other nickname while enjoying all the amenities of a home-cooked meal and chores being done around the house, all while you're familiarizing yourself with your new nickname. Sure you still love your old nickname, but the spark's died after such a long time, and you want to try something new. Now you get the best of both worlds. ENJOY.

Fifthly, you might want to go onto other servers such as IRCHIGHWAY, which allows you to visit all those scanlators's IRC channels. You might as well XDCC the crap out of them, not that DDL has regressed about five years. How? Just use alt+o (to get to options!)>connect>servers>select server>open in new window>connect and you will open up a new connection in a new window, so you can browse Rizon and IrcHighway at the same time! Convenience. Of course, new server means that you have to go through the hassle of nickname registration again, so be sure to do that.

Sixthly, I want to give you all the option of having a highlight, so that an alert will sound whenever someone says a certain keyword. Basically, it works like this: you set up a keyword (usually your nickname or some other petname you have going for you) and then from now on, an alert will sound whenever someone says that word.To enable it, you use: alt+b>highlight>enable highlight>add word. If it sounds, it means you're popular! Hurrah!

Lastly, there are some unsavoury characters that regularly prowl these channels- here, take this, you might need it. It's called '/ignore <nickname>'. Using that command will allow you to ignore any person using that nickname, so that their messages no longer show up on your client, or in any other channel. There are assholes and bots that just spam out messages. If you just want to read the comments, then just use that little command and those pests will trouble you no more. To remove someone from your ignore list, just use '/ignore -r <nickname>'. And remember - if someone is being too much of an asshole/is a spamming bot, go talk to one of the OP's (operators) in the channel and request that they get the banhammer. It's always SO SATISFYING to see someone get banned.

As a conclusion of sorts, I want everyone to double check that their floodprotection is set on, and that their dcc send file settings are set at auto-get file, with resume on. It's all in your alt+o, or options, and you can find both of those categories under flood and dcc respectively. Also, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. #doki is a particularly active channel, so take advantage of that. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people, but it's even stupider to just sit there frustrated than to ask for help. And after that, you won't necessarily be stupid anymore! But no guarantees!

Come visit and favourite us; we love having people on our channel! Good hunting, and welcome to IRC/#doki - The tech support you can count on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:11:54 am by convert »