Discussion Forums > Enticing to watch...

Action

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hanover Fist:
Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Panic! - MAL- Action, Comedy, Mecha, Sci-FiFull Metal Panic? Fumoffu - MAL- Action, ComedyFull Metal Panic! The Second Raid - MAL- Action, Mecha, Military
Downloads: All three series batches 1080p BD (dual audio), 720p BD (dual audio)

Full Metal Panic!

Fumoffu
(click to show/hide)TSR
(click to show/hide)

Sagara Sosuke is a talented and ruthless young paramilitary sergeant with the secret counter-terrorist organization MITHRIL. He and two of his collegues are given a covert assignment to guard Chidori Kaname. Military and high school worlds collide when Sosuke goes to school with her. They experience hilarious and extreme culture shock with one another as this show takes off. After the serious first season, Fumoffu is a humorous side story. The Second Raid continues the first season's plotline.

The first season did an great job alternating between the culture shock comedy and the serious mecha/sci-fi story. It maintains an excellent balancing act while you get to know the characters before diving into the heavier plot. Fumoffu was a fun humor break from the seriousness and it kept me laughing constantly. The action-packed Second Raid brings you back to the main story on a serious note: MITHRIL ends Chidori's protective detail and the bad guys close in. This pattern might have been an inspiration for some other shows (serious Index s1, light Railgun spinoff, serious Index s2).

I loved this one enough to buy all three shows on DVD. It's another of my all-time favorites I've inflicted upon many friends. I'm not sure what else to say other than GO WATCH IT NAO! :D

Pictures  (60)

Full Metal Panic!  (20)
(click to show/hide)

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu  (20)
(click to show/hide)

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid  (20)
(click to show/hide)

Hanover Fist:
Ghost in the Shell

Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Psychological
Ghost in the Shell (movie 1) - MAL - Download
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (movie 2) - MAL - Download
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (series s1) - MAL - Download
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig (series s2) - MAL - Download
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. - Solid State Society (series-based movie) - MAL - Download

Ghost in the Shell

GitS 2-Innocence (click to show/hide)GitS-Stand Alone Complex (click to show/hide)GitS-SAC 2nd Gig (click to show/hide)GitS-SAC Solid State Society (click to show/hide)

In 2029, the lines between the real and digital worlds have become blurry and faded. Cybernetic bodies, brain transplants and intelligence uploads have become commonplace. Section 9 is a counter-terrorist branch of the Japanese government, whose primary focus is on brain hacking. The entire body of work regularly questions where the dividing line is between man and machine.

Based on a manga by Shirow Masamune, the Ghost in the Shell franchise branches into two universes/plotlines: The first is composed of the two films Ghost in the Shell and Innocence. The other is the Stand Alone Complex series, which rebooted the universe to something a bit closer to the manga, followed by the 2nd Gig and finally Solid State Society.

The plotlines are intricate and complex - expecially in the series - when the stand alone episodes are balanced by those that weave into the larger continuing story of the season. Small details have significance and there is nothing wasted. The GitS universe has great action, deep and intriguing storylines in an exquisitely crafted world.

The music is excellent throughout. Kenji Kawai used a haunting Japanese folk soundtrack in the movies. Yoko Kanno did an amazing job in the series with vocals ranging through Russian, English, Italian and Latin with catchy and fitting music. Tracks from the many OSTs have been in constant rotation on my car CDs for years.

The animation is beautiful through all the different branches of the story. The film was my first exposure to Production I.G. and the animation has held up surprisingly well for over 15 years. All the other pieces of the story have been equally shiny and I'm willing to give nearly any show a chance if Production I.G. is doing it. Even the voice actors have colored my perceptions of anime to this day (Tanaka Atsuko was the first seiyuu I started recognizing).

Overall, it's top notch - a series well worth its expanse of DVD shelf space.

A new four part prequel OVA is in the works - Ghost in the Shell: Arise. So far, only one of the four hour-long episodes has been released.

Pictures (50)

Ghost in the Shell (10) (click to show/hide)

GitS 2-Innocence (10) (click to show/hide)

Also, one of my favorite AMVs of all time uses footage from Innocence with wonderful results:
(click to show/hide)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxfVCVgC08
GitS-Stand Alone Complex (10) (click to show/hide)

GitS-SAC 2nd Gig (10) (click to show/hide)

GitS-SAC Solid State Society (10) (click to show/hide)

Hanover Fist:
R.O.D.
(Read or Die and Read or Dream)

R.O.D. - MAL - Download - Action, Adventure, Mystery, Sci-Fi
R.O.D. the TV - MAL - Download - Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi

Read or Die

R.O.D. the TV
(click to show/hide)

The three episode OVA follows Yomiko Readman: On the surface, she's a clumsy, nearsighted book addict. This cover persona hides "The Paper," a secret agent for the British Library's secret service department. She has near-magical powers over paper, morphing it to do anything she needs. She and other British Library agents battle cloned historical figures in the search for rare books like weapons of mass destruction.

The 26 episode series starts five years after the OVA. It follows three members of a Hong Kong private detective agency, who each have more limited powers over paper than Yomiko. They are hired as bodyguards for author Nenene Sumiregawa in a plot that begins seemingly unrelated to the OVA. In quiet moments they do side jobs for the Chinese equivalent of the British Library superpower.

The OVA hooks you with the great action, the lush visuals and a steampunk-Ian-Fleming feel to the spy intrigue. The TV series is more character driven and takes it's time establishing things before diving in to the action-packed storyline that explains Yomiko's disappearance. These have been a favorite of mine for years and I envy you the treat of enjoying them for the first time.

Pictures

Read or Die (click to show/hide)

R.O.D. the TV (click to show/hide)

This AMV will give you a much better (if spoilerific) feel for the series than my words can:
(click to show/hide)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGiEo4ITZ20

Chadwicke:
To Aru Majutsu no Index
<A Certain Magical Index>

Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
To Aru Majutsu no Index -MAL -Torrent: 720p TV, 480p DVD (dual audio)To Aru Majutsu no Index II -MAL -Torrents: 720p BD, XviD TVXDCC: Index is on A|OtakuBot in #NEWS and Index II is still on Ginpachi-Sensei as of July 2013.

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Majutsu no Index II are set in Academy City, wherein students can enroll in schools which uses science as the center of study. Through a certain training program, the students themselves can become espers, basically humans with powers which was brought about and developed through science. Every student strives to hone and improve their esper powers, which are measured and categorized into levels, the highest of which is level 5. Our protagonist, whose power is to negate any supernatural power using his right hand, is a Level 0 Esper, which means he is not considered by the school to have any esper power at all. He gets to meet Index, the titular character, during season 1. Index brings into the series the religion/magic side, of which she has one of the greatest assets—the 103,000 forbidden magical books stored and hidden in her brain. Since the protagonist is a Level 0 esper and pretty much a borderline flunker at school, and since his right hand can negate both esper and magic powers, let's consider him a mediator between espers and magicians. It is then up to another heroine, Mikoto Misaka, to bring us deeper into the science/esper side, of which she herself is one of the most powerful. Dubbed as the Electric Princess, she is the third strongest of the seven Level 5 espers. She is also the protagonist of her own 24-episode side story, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.

One thing I personally dislike for an anime series to have is an overpowered character. I like protagonists that has powers and yet have to use it properly for it to be useful. I like seeing potential for character improvement, and that’s exactly what Index and Index II have. ...many characters in this series just has so much potential to be cool. The series itself has a buffet of interesting aspects including the true origin of esper and magic powers, the present “science vs. religion” and the future possibility of a third faction...

Yes, the potential never stops for this anime series. However, for now, that’s all there is to it (the manga is still on-going actually, the light novels are completed, so if you want spoilers, go ahead). ...the cast of characters alone is definitely worth your time. Don’t expect too much closure (yet) and you’re definitely going to enjoy this one.

* Summary taken from my blog. Some phrases were modified/omitted to follow the guidelines.

Pictures
Thanks to Random Curiosity for the screencaps

To Aru Majutsu no Index (click to show/hide)

To Aru Majutsu no Index II (click to show/hide)

Hanover Fist:
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
<A Certain Scientific Railgun>

Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Fantasy
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - MAL - Torrents: 1-24 720p BD, OVA 720p BD
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - MAL - Downloads: Doki release posts
XDCC: Search for "railgun" on Ginpachi-Sensei for [Mazui] S1 packs, links in release posts for [Doki] S2.

Railgun is also set in Academy City, the scientific focus of the cold war between magic and science so central to Index's plot: Nearly two million students are in the esper development program ranked from 0 to 5. Misaka Mikoto, whose talent is based on electromagnetic powers, is one of the seven Level 5 espers. She can accelerate small metal objects to supersonic speeds with a railgun made from her power. Her roommate Kuroko is in the student watch force - Judgement. Mikoto spends her time outside of school fending off Kuroko's constant romantic advances along with investigating small and large problems with their friends Uiharu (Kuroko's colleague in Judgement) and Saten (Uiharu's roommate).

The tone of this series is lighter than that of Index and it aired between the two seasons like a comedy break. The episodes alternate between long and short story lines and every episode is filled with hilarious moments. Kuroko's seiyuu, Satomi Arai, did such a wonderful job that all of her subsequent roles have been colored by Kuroko's personality in my mind. Admittedly some jokes get used a lot (perhaps overused), but I still loved the show and impatiently waited for each episode until it aired. The first season concludes well, tying up threads from many plot lines.

Now there is a second season - a spinoff series airing now that focuses on the Sisters Arc.

Pictures
Thanks again to Random Curiosity for the screencaps.
(click to show/hide)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version