Author Topic: VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better  (Read 25950 times)

Offline Dys

• Registered Tsundere
  • Global Moderator
  • Cosplayer
  • Wasuremono wa arimasen ka?
    • View Profile
VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:50 am »
Same basis as the manga version of the topic.

More recently the trend in anime has been toward making anime versions of visual novels.

There are some classic and universally lauded examples such as many of the works by Key/Kyoto Animation.

There are also some examples of great failures, such as the MADHOUSE adaption of the Nitro+ VN, ChäoS;HEAd.

Of course, visual novels DO include the subgenre of eroge. Two out of three KyoAni Key adaptions were originally eroge. There have been a number of eroge adaptions too.

What are your thoughts on the subject? What are other examples of visual novels that received animated versions? Is it a blasphemous act to even try to adapt eroge/VN's?

Offline AzureHakua

• Half-Ghost Seeking Death
  • Cosplayer
  • Kore de ii?
    • View Profile
Re: VN: Anime Versions - The VN Was Better
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:16:33 am »
I think some VNs are adapted really well, some really suck though lol.

One of my favorite VNs is Umineko, and I absolutely love it. The anime sort of sucks in comparison in my opinion. Sure, there are people who like it without ever playing the VN, but I honestly feel that the VN was exponentially better, and I can understand why Umineko (The anime) has tons of haters. Although... I don't really appreciate people who compare Higurashi and Umineko as I feel they are separate independent stories.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:58:23 am »
Personally I love the Umineko anime, but I'm still getting started with the VN's. The terrible art is killing my motivation, since the anime has such superb art. I still intend to read the VN's some day, don't worry.

My major complaint is about the Fortune Arterial anime. It's watchable, I think I rated it 2.5/5, but compared to the fantastic VN it's quite poor. I enjoyed the VN a helluva lot more even though I had to use translators to read it. One route could have been fit into 12 eps by a good director, but they included a lot of stuff from various routes, so I think it should've been 24 eps. Even then I don't think this director could've pulled it off well enough to be worthy of the original material, but I'm sure it would've been much better than now.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:51:21 pm »
One word: Tsukihime.

Another thing to note, the Shuffle anime had, in my opinion, really bad art style and graphics. But I still hold it high in regards because it explored and explained many things the VN didn't, like the main character past as well as portraying it accurately (in my opinion).

The Visual Novel was great, but the anime too had it's moments and even some of the jokes were better animated and more portrayed.
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.
Owner & Project leader for NFP Encodings & ForPitch.
Making lolis cry since 2011

Offline Haxton Fale

• C-Box Member
  • Imouto
  • Wild yuri fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:45 am »
One word: Tsukihime.
Even though it's a week old post, I have to agree. I have yet to see a worse adaptation than Shingetsutan Tsukihime, which might count as the most wasted 240 minutes of my life. But hey, Carnival Phantasm is out!

And there's also Clannad. I'm currently midway through Nagisa route (still in School Life) but as far as I'm concerned all the other ones were adapted really well. It's also great they made Tomoyo and Kyou chapters as both of them had great stories in their routes.

BTW, why there's nothing about manga adaptations? Shingetsutan Tsukihime manga was actually great and got an incredible last chapter making True End into Good.

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
  • Keyfag and Type-Moon junkie
    • View Profile
    • Rokudaime's YouTube account
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:13 am »
In addition to what others have said, I'd like to add that all of Kyoto Animation's anime adaptations of Key's visual novels are fantastic, and also, the anime adaptation of Aquaplus/Leaf's visual novel, Utawarerumono, is amazing.
Taisetsu no mono wa, jibun no mite, kite, kangaeru koto sa.

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:00:43 am »
The other Leaf VN adaptation, Tears to Tiara, is also damn good. Far exceeded my expectations at the start of the series.

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:28 pm »
Krozam, did you know that Aquaplus released a fighting game for the PS3 this year called Aqua Pazza, that has characters from Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, To Heart, and others? :D I want to play it!

Offline Aevumus

• Closet Otaku
  • ~Tsun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »
As someone well-versed in Visual Novels, I can confidently say that in most circumstances, anime adaptations of a Visual Novel usually pale in comparison to their original source.

Some of the most notable examples being Fate/Stay Night and Umineko. Both of them are actually not that bad on their own, but when you compare them to their origins they essentially fall flat on their faces. The main issue is that too much information is compressed and the Anime tends to attempt to mash together several elements of the multiple routes, thus leading to an amalgamation of several different stories that often simply don't line up.

The most recent example I can think of would be an Anime/Visual Novel titled Mashiro Iro Symhpony. I went into this with a fairly open mindset, and the first several episodes came off with quite a good premise; that this wasn't going to unsuccessfully slam the multiple story routes together and hope it turns out alright. The first half was fairly focused, had good character development, and then suddenly... All of that vanished. They simply acted like all of the character focus hadn't happened and moved on to another heroine. And then they did it again. Two of the primary heroines weren't even touched on and become nothing more than supporting roles. Seeing all of that potential and character development completely forgotten and wasted was really a letdown from what seemed to be a very promising plot.

Now, having said all of that, not all adaptations are a letdown. Clannad was fairly well done, although having played through the VN I still wholeheartedly believe that the original does a better job portraying the emotions that usually flow with Key works. Steins;Gate was also a very well done and faithful adaptation, and I can easily consider it my favorite anime to date. Unfortunately, a good amount of (albeit minor) content was lost, some of which led a a deeper understanding of the events that transpired during the plot.

I'm almost afraid to find out how Angel Beats! is going to fare in VN form, as it was originally intended as an anime. Granted, Key has yet to let me down so far, so I do have faith.

The point of this rant? None. I just felt like sharing my opinion, albeit a long-winded and essentially pointless one. Thoughts? Responses?
I-It's not like I want you to read my signature... Baka!

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:32:05 am »
As someone well-versed in Visual Novels, I can confidently say that in most circumstances, anime adaptations of a Visual Novel usually pale in comparison to their original source.

Some of the most notable examples being Fate/Stay Night and Umineko. Both of them are actually not that bad on their own, but when you compare them to their origins they essentially fall flat on their faces. The main issue is that too much information is compressed and the Anime tends to attempt to mash together several elements of the multiple routes, thus leading to an amalgamation of several different stories that often simply don't line up.

The most recent example I can think of would be an Anime/Visual Novel titled Mashiro Iro Symhpony. I went into this with a fairly open mindset, and the first several episodes came off with quite a good premise; that this wasn't going to unsuccessfully slam the multiple story routes together and hope it turns out alright. The first half was fairly focused, had good character development, and then suddenly... All of that vanished. They simply acted like all of the character focus hadn't happened and moved on to another heroine. And then they did it again. Two of the primary heroines weren't even touched on and become nothing more than supporting roles. Seeing all of that potential and character development completely forgotten and wasted was really a letdown from what seemed to be a very promising plot.

Now, having said all of that, not all adaptations are a letdown. Clannad was fairly well done, although having played through the VN I still wholeheartedly believe that the original does a better job portraying the emotions that usually flow with Key works. Steins;Gate was also a very well done and faithful adaptation, and I can easily consider it my favorite anime to date. Unfortunately, a good amount of (albeit minor) content was lost, some of which led a a deeper understanding of the events that transpired during the plot.

I'm almost afraid to find out how Angel Beats! is going to fare in VN form, as it was originally intended as an anime. Granted, Key has yet to let me down so far, so I do have faith.

The point of this rant? None. I just felt like sharing my opinion, albeit a long-winded and essentially pointless one. Thoughts? Responses?

Well said. That is indeed the case with most adaptations, though there are a few select ones that are very good, such as the examples you mentioned. I would like to mention again though that I think the Utawarerumono anime is a good adaptation of the VN, even though the VN is still far superior. I consider it to be pretty impossible to cram EVERYTHING from a big VN into an anime though, since certain scenes/dialogue don't make the transition into anime all that well. Therefore I don't believe that everything from a VN has to be included in a potential anime version, for that anime to be a good adaptation.

Anyway, imagine how awesome it would be if they made a proper anime series out of the Heaven's Feel route from the Fate/stay night VN, in the same level of quality as that seen in the Fate/Zero anime! :D I seriously doubt that would ever happen, but it's still my dream! <3

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:13:04 pm »
Krozam, did you know that Aquaplus released a fighting game for the PS3 this year called Aqua Pazza, that has characters from Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, To Heart, and others? :D I want to play it!
No, but I don't care either, because I don't have any consoles. I sometimes play PSX and PS2 games on emulators, but PS3 games are outside my reach.

Aevumus, that is indeed the most common problem with VN and LN adaptations, such as Fortune Arterial and Campione. I shudder at the thought of what would be the result of an Eien no Aselia adaptation (even a series, let alone the actually existing OVA, which I refuse to watch), I couldn't stand watching them crap all over one of my absolute favourite stories. Campione was painful enough, and it's just a good story to me, nowhere near my favourite.

Offline Aevumus

• Closet Otaku
  • ~Tsun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:26 am »
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I have a habit of thinking 'Maybe this one WON'T be trash' as I lead into any anime that was previously in a VN form (and I am then subsequently let down). I'm much less experienced with Light Novels, although I tend to find my biggest problem is that they start off great and simply aren't continued past a first season due to some creative differences or lack of capital.
I-It's not like I want you to read my signature... Baka!

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »
True, that is also a problem with light novel adapations, they tend to never be completed. Many of my favourite anime are LN adaptations, so that might even be the bigger problem. I could kill for a second season of Black Blood Brothers or Ookami-san, for example.

Offline Rokudaime

• Cosplayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:45 am »
True, that is also a problem with light novel adapations, they tend to never be completed. Many of my favourite anime are LN adaptations, so that might even be the bigger problem. I could kill for a second season of Black Blood Brothers or Ookami-san, for example.

I want them to animate the remaining content from The Suzumiya Haruhi novels. :D

Offline Tyrantorus

• Closet Otaku
  • I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:13 am »
Well said. That is indeed the case with most adaptations, though there are a few select ones that are very good, such as the examples you mentioned. I would like to mention again though that I think the Utawarerumono anime is a good adaptation of the VN, even though the VN is still far superior. I consider it to be pretty impossible to cram EVERYTHING from a big VN into an anime though, since certain scenes/dialogue don't make the transition into anime all that well. Therefore I don't believe that everything from a VN has to be included in a potential anime version, for that anime to be a good adaptation.

Anyway, imagine how awesome it would be if they made a proper anime series out of the Heaven's Feel route from the Fate/stay night VN, in the same level of quality as that seen in the Fate/Zero anime! :D I seriously doubt that would ever happen, but it's still my dream! <3

It could happen! I see Fate/Zero stuff all over Akihabara. Maybe they could do a high-quality miniseries for Heaven's Feel...