Author Topic: Comedy  (Read 18803 times)

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
Comedy
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:22 pm »
General Rules

Post reply here with your favorite anime anime titles along with a short description (and pics :D). Remember to read the Guidelines and tips before continuing.

Thread rules

This is the comedy section. Characters breaking the 4th wall frequently? Making frequent references to other anime titles? If you are looking for something to laugh over then you should find something to your liking here.

Anime titles

Anime titles in other threads
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:29:15 pm by Hanover Fist »
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.
Owner & Project leader for NFP Encodings & ForPitch.
Making lolis cry since 2011

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
Re: Comedy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 12:15:42 am »
Zettai Karen Children
Comedy, Action, Supernatural
MAL - Downloads: Series, OVA

I absolutely love Zettai Karen Children, it has huge amount of comedy and some of the most kick ass moments I can remember in anime.

Zettai Karen Children is about 3 girls who have the highest measured psychic powers. They are recruited by B.A.B.E.L. to stop other people misusing their psychic powers. The series follows them on this adventure of theirs.

Zettia Karen Children is, as I mentioned, hilariously funny and yet can be very serious at times. It was produced by Synergy SP and was done just after Synergy finished Hayate no Gotoku, 1st season. The 4th wall is constantly being broken in many of the episodes not to mention that you can see some of Hayate characters in the background here and there.

In the beginning of the show, the characters are introduced, their problems and their backgrounds. It isn't until in episode 26 when the main plot twist is introduced. And from there, the show starts becoming more serious and more awesome and kickass (not saying that it wasn't like that before, it was still being kickass :D). It all amounts to episode 37 in amount of epicness and pure awesomeness.

Anyways, I recommend Zettai Karen Children to anyone that loves a good comedy. Don't let the lolis fool you, it's a good show ;)

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:42:17 am by Hanover Fist »
Living in IS is fun, except for the occasional volcano eruptions in my backyard but that's another story.

Offline TheThing

• Experienced Programmer
  • Global Moderator
  • Loli
  • Living in IS
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:36 am »
Working!!
Comedy, Slice of Life
MAL - Download, 720p.mp4

With the coming of an Anime with just about no plot, one wonders how good something like Working!! can actually be. To my surprise, what was supposed to be a filler series to pass the time for me ended up being one of the most enjoyable of spring 2010.

There isn't much of a story really. Takanashi just goes to work at a family restaurant full of weird and unique co-workers and takes it from there for the rest of the series. However even with the lack of a real story, Working!! makes up for easily with their characters. Even with the lack of plot, a handful of the characters were well done in the sense that they achieve what this anime was meant to do, to make us laugh. There were quite a bit of running gags, but still has more then enough to keep you watching.

For an anime with very minimal plot, it does a very outstanding job in entertaining its viewers and is definitely worth watching.*

I should add, that this anime has some of the best comebacks I have seen in anime. With season 2 coming this fall 2011, you should definitely see this one out :D.

Pictures

(click to show/hide)

* Review written by setvenx.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:49:09 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
    • Hanover Fist Productions on YT
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:02 am »
MM!

Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, Harem
MAL - Torrents: 1080p, 720p, 480p

Sado Taro - a massive masochist - goes to his school's volunteer club to be cured of his masochism. He wants to be "normal" before he confesses to the mystery girl he has a crush on. Sadly, she has complications as well. Many more problems ensue along Taro's path to normality.

Each major character has their own extreme kink in this show, ranging from masochism, sadism, androphobia, crossdressing, voyeurism, brocon, lolicon, soncon and much more. While mainly a light ecchi comedy, I liked the subtle message of acceptance and tolerance of other people's weirdness. That and it had me busting out laughing loudly at least once and often many times an episode. We're not talking "lol" here - this is waking and scaring the neighbors. ;)

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:38:37 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Krozam

• C-Box Member
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • GM of The Wings of Hall RPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:53:00 pm »
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Comedy, Parody, Romance, Action
MAL - Torrents: 1080p (12GB -.-'), 720p

Have a problem? Talk to Otogi Bank, a student aid group that helps people get what they need – for a hefty price. Led by Liszt Kiriki and staffed by tsundere Ryouko, inventor Majolica, jealous Otohime, flirtatious Tarou, serious Alice, nervous Ryoushi and maid Otsuu, Otogi Bank assists with everything from helping break into a rival school to convincing an upperclassman to not quit a sports team. Can Otogi Bank manage to make all their clients happy, and most importantly, will Ryoushi ever manage to win Ryouko’s heart? (Source: Anime-Planet)

Ookami-san might be the most hilarious anime I've ever watched. I laughed with tears in my eyes several times per episode, mostly thanks to the brilliant narration script, voiced by the fantastic Arai Satomi. Most people know her from her role as the voice of Shirai Kuroko from the To Arus, but to me this is hands down her crowning role.

Another noteworthy thing about this anime is the lead trio. The female lead is quite possibly the most well-balanced tsundere I've ever seen: she's just tsun enough to keep up the comedy and just dere enough to never make me feel like she's a b*tch not worthy of the male lead's love. The male lead's fear of being stared at makes him hilariously pathetic (not disgustingly pathetic) and his coolness in several key situations gives his personality some nice contradiction. The third main character, the female lead's closest friend, is probably the second most important source of comedy after the narrator. She's delightfully adept at manipulating people with her loli cuteness.

The romance is also well developed through the series, though this anime definitely needs a second season, the story is very incomplete. I really hope there will be a second season, because the level of entertainment I got from this anime is almost on par with Kaze no Stigma. I want more!

My full review: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Krozam/reviews/3870

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:42:29 am by Hanover Fist »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | reviews
The Wings of Hall RPG - Do join in the fun!

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »
Toradora

Comedy, Romance, Slice of Life, Drama - MAL - Torrents: 720p BD.mkv, 720p BD.mp4

Ryuji is a quiet student, nice guy and better in the home than most housewives. However, most people mistake him for a delinquent due to his scary eyes. He stumbles upon Taiga at school, a short angry girl nicknamed the Palmtop Tiger. She promptly smacks him down. It turns out that Taiga & Ryuji each have best friends which are the other's love interest. They make a pact to help each other, but the school's rumor mill mistakes their odd self-serving friendship for a romance.

Toradora has all the typical elements of a high school romance, but it puts them together so much better than usual. It sounds cliche but it avoids most traps or uses them in a new way (story flaws, I mean - not cross-dressers :P). The humor is great throughout the story and the characters are so much deeper than one expects. Taiga's character also sensitized me to Kugemiya Rie's voice and I think it's her best role yet. This is an excellent show I've watched many times before and I'm sure to watch it again.

Pictures

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:06:32 pm by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:52 am »
Hanasaku Iroha

Comedy, Drama, Slice of Life
MAL - Downloads: Doki release posts

Ohana is open, blunt and you're never in doubt of what she's feeling. When her mom decides to go on the lam with her boyfriend to avoid debt collectors, Ohana is shipped off to the countryside to her grandmother's hot springs inn. Ohana's grandmother however, isn't the sweet kind to give out candy. Sui, sorry Ookami-san is a strict taskmistress and expects Ohana to work at the inn for her keep. While Ohana tries to accept her Tokyo friend Ko's love confession she makes the best of things out in the countryside.

First off, the visuals in this show are stunning, PA Works did a beautiful job animating it. The characters are all great, revealing more depths as the show goes on. The plot balances nicely between comedy and drama, reeling between emotional punches to the gut and catching your breath from belly laughs. It's a good length, 26 eps with enough time to nicely tie up many loose ends. It's a great show, based on the real world: Nothing is perfect but it can get pretty good. Strongly recommended.

Pictures
Thanks again to Random Curiosity for the screencaps.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:50:20 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 10:00:24 am »
Gokusen

Comedy, Drama, Slice of Life
MAL - Torrents: 480p XviD, 480p (dual audio)

Yamaguchi Kumiko is the granddaughter of a yakuza gang boss and she has always dreamed of becoming a teacher. She is one of two female teachers hired to the toughest boys school around. Kumiko must hide her mafia upbringing and connections to keep from being fired. So at school YanKumi (as she's nicknamed) pretends to be a ditz to try and give these rough boys a real chance in life.

The comedy timing in this show is excellent. The contradictions between the competent and scary Oujo and the ditzy YanKumi persona are always hilarious. The show also does a great job showing Kumiko's steel core beneath the "scared" teacher act. Madhouse did the animation - it's excellent for 2004 and still holds up well. This 13 episode show keeps you laughing as it delves into the backstory and depths of the characters.

I never got into the multiple live-action adaptations of the manga, I didn't feel the anime could be beat by the limitations of 3D acting.

Pictures
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:53:44 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 03:38:28 am »
Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Comedy, Romance
MAL - Torrents: 720p BD, 400p XviD

Student council president Misaki Ayuzawa does her best to make girls feel safe at Seika High School. It was recently switched from an all-boys school to co-ed and Misaki fights to curb the worst excesses of all the creepy boys. At home, her sickly mother was saddled by debt when her deadbeat dad left. Mom and the two Ayuzawa sisters do their best to make ends meet, but it is a constant struggle of hard work and coupon-clipping. Misaki has a job in the next town over at a maid cafe - it's not that strenuous and pays well - but she fears the day anyone from school finds out about it.

One day Misaki discovers the popular Usui Takumi as he turns down a love confession from one of his many followers. Later, Usui walks in to her maid cafe, much to her horror. Is her hard-earned reputation at school ruined? Will the president become a toy in Usui's cat paws?

Misaki is a classic tsundere and Fujimura Ayumi does an excellent job with her voice. Usui's character is also the perfect foil against Misaki. Her confusion and anger at Usui's indifferent interest is great to watch. The comedy and drama timing on this show is outstanding while the sometimes exaggerated facial expressions and super-deformed characters kept me laughing loudly each episode. That and the many cute romantic moments when Misaki's dere and moe side comes out.

Pictures
Thanks to Random Curiosity for the screencaps.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:55:46 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 04:33:41 pm »
Summer Wars

Comedy, Sci-Fi, Romance
MAL - Torrents: 1080p, 720p, 480p

Math genius Kenji is asked by Natsuki (who he has a crush on) to come with her to the countryside for a summer job. Natsuki's family is gathering to celebrate the 90th birthday of her great-grandmother: Sakae is the matriarch of the Jinnouchi clan with family history back to the 14th century. After being introduced to Sakae, Kenji learns that his job is to pretend to be Natsuki's worldly fiance. Later that night he gets a strange math problem on his cell phone which he can't resist trying to solve. The solution causes disasters in Oz (the cyberspace version of the web) that begin to leak into the real world.

This film was just great. It may have been designed to be family-safe but it still has multiple layers of excellent plot with myriad details that still appeal to adults. There are lots of funny situations that build up to an action-packed finale and when the Jinnouchi clan pulls out all the stops, watch out. :D

Pictures
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:01:29 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:32:48 am »
Detroit Metal City

Comedy - MAL
Torrents: 1080p, 720p, 432p

Souichi - a good country boy - came to Tokyo for college. His dream after college was to be a musician, and he loves cheesy sappy pop songs. To pay the bills, he became the frontman for a death metal band - Detroit Metal City. Onstage as Johannes Krauser II, he wields armor, corpse paint and a wicked guitar. Krauser sings songs of rape, hell and murder to a rapidly growing and very rabid fanbase.

As a pop guitarist Souichi is an ignored street musician and he envies his own band's success, fueling self-hatred. This comes out on stage as Krauser's rage, increasing DMC's popularity and adding wild rumors about Krauser's habits. Souichi also develops problems keeping his Krauser persona from spilling into everyday life. Finally he wants to hide his involvement in DMC from the college classmate he crushes on.

This little show/OVA of 12 half-length episodes is one of the funniest I've ever seen. I'm talking about wake-the-neighbors-up-with-your-mad-cackling type funny. :D The songs they use are good and excellently fit into the show. The voice actors are also well suited for their roles anywhere from soft-spoken and stuttering to metal growls. The visual style is stark and manga-like and might be mistaken for cheap-ass animation, but small details are animated quite well when Studio 4°C wants to.

However, it's not a show for everyone: The language and humor is very crude (as you can see in the screencaps). The razor-edged satire and rabid fan characteristics might also offend genre-specific-metal purists that can't take a joke.

Pictures
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:03:23 am by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
<Daily Lives of High School Boys> or <Nichibros>

Comedy, Slice of Life
MyAnimeList overview - Torrents: 1080p BD, 720p BD

I think Divine said it best in his first impressions post on RandomC:

At its core, this is a slice-of-life comedy where boys will be boys. Not only that, but where boys will be stupid  ... stupidly awesome that is. We follow a trio of high school boys idiots from Sanada North. Cast-wise, Sugita Tomokazu and Suzumura Kenichi - two of the funniest seiyuu in person - bring all the idiotic goodness, while Irino Miyu tries to play the straight guy, only to epically fail every time for our personal amusement.

What makes the comedy work so well isn’t just the fact that the three of them do really stupid things, but the fact that they do those stupid things even when they know exactly how stupid they are. They ignore common sense and just go wherever their trollish inner desires take them. What’s more, they’re completely shameless, which makes their hijinks an absolute riot.

Even when things weren’t overly funny, all it ever took was one scene to change all that. The humor comes in all forms too, such as Hidenori’s sarcastic inner dialogue (hilariously reminiscent of Kyon in Suzumiya Haruhi thanks to Tomokazu), Tadakuni’s faceless sister and the Literature Girl, who don’t even have proper names.

Anyway, I’ll just leave you with one final recommendation: Go watch it. Go watch it NOW!

Pictures
Screencaps courtesy of RandomC as usual.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:49:56 pm by Hanover Fist »

Offline Hanover Fist

• Usagimimi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:27:18 pm »
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
<Love, Chuunibyou & Other Delusions>

Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life
MyAnimeList overview - Torrent: [URW] 720p
XDCC: Search for "chuunibyou" on the Ginpachi-Sensei packlist.

Chuunibyou (8th grade syndrome) is a perilous disease where imagination bleeds into reality. Yuuta wants to put his chuunibyou episode into the past and live an entirely normal, fantasy-free life. Rikka, however is still strongly afflicted, and she knows his dark secret - he is the Dark Flame Master (he stupidly played it one last time, unaware she was watching).

The comedy in this show is top notch. The pacing moves along quickly and sets up the well defined characters immediately. The goofy interactions between everyone had me in stitches and the character designs were terminally cute. Overall it's great fun and shouldn't be missed.

Outside of the 12 episodes aired on TV, there are many extras: First are the six "Lite" five-minute shorts. These should be watched in sequence with the full eps (1, 1-lite, 2, 2-lite ...). Next is the OVA/Ep.13 and finally the seven three-minute Depth of Field BD specials (I-V,last,extra) to watch in one swell foop.

Pictures
Screencaps courtesy of RandomC as usual.
(click to show/hide)