Discussion Forums > Visual Novels

Tomoyo After Game Error Thread

<< < (11/13) > >>

Rokudaime:
The swiss I was talking about is one of our staff members, so yes, I was not talking about you. ;-) As for your opening video problem, I need to clarify one thing with you first. Are you aware that the opening video does not, and is not supposed to, play neither when you launch the game, nor when you you start a new game? Many people have thought there was something wrong with their game just because the opening video did not play when they launched the game or when they started playing, but that's not it. It's not supposed to. The video plays around 10-15 minutes into the game. So, you have to start a new game, and then play for a bit, and THEN the video will play, after a little while. ;-)

SwisonCheese:
Oh. At first I was confused about what you said but I think you misunderstood me. Yes, the video plays after July 2nd, I believe. I think the final dialogue before the video was "It was a rather fiery dinner." After that dialogue, the screen fades into black and then it crashes. It has happened to me every time and I don't think I'll be able to continue if I don't get this fixed. Sorry about not being specific about where it hangs. Thank you.

Clyde Swiss
Future Adjudicator

Rokudaime:
Ah, you're talking about that bug that causes the game to crash when it tries to load the opening video. I thought you just meant you could play the game, but couldn't see the OP. :P

Well, that problem is a bit more complicated. It has to do with your video setup. Your codecs and filters and such. Most likely your vfw filter chain has been broken, because some of the codec packs you have installed on your system have been messing with it when they really shouldn't be. How it works is a little complicated, but, basically, a vfw filter chain determines what Windows passes stuff off to for decoding first, and like anything else, it must have a default value. You don't mention what operating system you are using (always include details on your system when posting errors, as per the guidelines posted on the first page of this error reporting thread), and I'm not sure how it is with Windows XP, but Windows 7 at least has a set of native filters to handle most stuff, using its own codecs for decoding several audio and video formats, and so using third party DirectShow filters instead of the native filters is not possible without making difficult changes to the Windows Registry. The problem is that some programs and players, which are able to use third party filters just fine on their own, try to very aggressively replace Windows' native filter set with their own, basically telling Windows "Let the program decide for itself which filterset to use!". This can sometimes break games, because the game is expecting the Windows filter set to handle the video/audio, and handle it in a certain way. This way the game doesn't have to actually think about it. If Windows tells a program to choose a filterset, but the program was never DESIGNED to choose a filterset to begin with, then bad things happen. LAV for example still has some issues where in certain situations it can crash when it is called by programs as the filterset.

As such, one last resort solution is to simply delete the opening video (or move it to somewhere outside of the game folder, so you can watch it manually outside of the game, using the media player of your choice). Filters can't mess up when they can't play. :-) You only said you've tried "replacing" the video, so I'm gonna assume you haven't tried deleting it. Then again, if you delete it, then you won't be able to see it when playing the game. Nothing huge of course, since you can play it manually with the player of your choice outside of the game, but there is a possible "proper" solution, if you're a little adventurous. You can download this tool: http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm , and then open up the prefered decoders, and make sure everything is set to either "microsoft" or "merit". Setting it to "microsoft" would probably be the best option to try out first, and then if that doesn't work, you can try "merit", though it's possible that that one may not work either. The idea is that setting the filterset to Windows, if it isn't set to it already, may fix the problem because now the game should say "Okay Windows, go handle your video thingy". It may not work, but it's worth a shot if you want, and if all else fails, you can always delete the OP video. Bear in mind though, that making these changes will affect everything else that uses your codecs as well, so use the program with caution. If it breaks everything, then you need to set things back to how they were before you made the changes.

A long response I know, and it may not have been as helpful as you had hoped for, but I hope it was of some use at least. :-)

SwisonCheese:
Oh I'm so sorry but I run Windows 7. I should have mentioned that. Umm I tried the tool you told me about and set it to windows. It didn't work and it also didn't work after I set it to merit. Afterwards, I deleted the video and played it and this time when the screen goes black, this message pops up.
EDIT: OMG I'M SUCH AN IDIOT. WHEN THE MESSAGE APPEARED AGAIN, I THOUGHT MAYBE I SHOULD PRESS ENTER AND SEE WHAT IT WILL DO AND IT MOVED ON. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Clyde Swiss
Future Renegade

Rokudaime:
You're welcome. :-) I'm sorry I couldn't help you in such a way as to get the video to work for you in-game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version